Towing question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
What is the largest trailer that a 2007 V-8 4x4 Ltd can tow? I have been looking at enclosed car haulers in the 18-20 foot range with GVWRs in the 6000 lb range. I know the ST is rated for 6600 lb but has anyone actually tried towing something this big? I have had plenty of times when I could have used a trailer this size plus it would serve as extra garage space when not in use.

Depends on the total weight of trailer, supplies, etc... Look at the door panel for info, I have a 1st gen so could tell ya exact number for your's.

I have pulled a 20 foot enclosed trailer with the same ST as yours. I does OK if you

push the OD button. A little hard on fuel mileage.

Thanks, dalemc. I have a local dealer checking pricing on a 8.5x18 Covered Wagon brand like this one on the bay. Only difference will be the color. He is spending the winter in FL and would pick it up at the factory in GA on his way back next month. I like the idea of the extra ramp door in the nose since I would be using at times to haul an ATV. Mostly plan to use it for my bigger toys like the 70 Mach 1.

I've got an 07 ST with the V8 and I've towed 7-8000lb boats around town. Up to 5000lbs on the highway. These ST's might be rated to 7000lbs, but I don't recommend any more than 4000lbs for long distance towing. And even at that your trailer brakes better be working perfect. I just think they are rating all these new trucks way to high on towing ratings. The F150 at 11000lbs is suicide as far as I'm concerned.

He doesn't mention the weight of that trailer in Ebay. Nice trailer, but if you want to haul a 70 Mach plus the trailer weight a ST just isn't the truck to do it with. Funny I had a 69 Mach with a 428 CJ.. Bought it with 6K on it in 1970.. Wish I still had it..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanna tow a '70 Mustang I'd defintely get an open trailer for that. I have an '03 ST and a couple times a years I'll tow my '87 Sonoma (show truck) to long distance show (open trailer) if we're taking that and the ST to the show and my truck is way lighter then the Mustang. Honestly I personally wouldn't try that combo (Mustang+enclosed trailer) and I'm a truck driver, it's not so much the getting up and going then I'd be worried about stability and stopping with the ST as the tow vehicle in that situation. When towing, braking and stability are the most important factors. Hell I've seen Mexicans tow three cars behind them packed with stuff with Caravans and Rangers but I wouldn't want to have to make any sudden movements or braking. How the police allowed that I have no idea but hey I'm only a dumb Trucker, right. :eek:nline::driving:

I thought about an open trailer but the biggest reason I am going with an enclosed trailer is that it will also serve as extra garage space when not actually moving one of my cars. I am also not a fan of having a somewhat unsightly open trailer taking up space in the driveway when not in use. Parking a car on an open trailer would be no better than parking it in the driveway.

Towed this 7400 lb , 25 foot boat, 700 miles without a problem with my 6 cyl 07 with towing package. Mileage 8 to 10 mpg.

[Broken External Image]:

Picked up the trailer on Saturday. I ordered it with the upgraded 5200 lb axles with torsion suspension and 225/75/15 tires. This thing tows like a dream. The weather was miserable, high winds and driving rain. No problems at all. I was on both two lane highways and four lane interstate. We even had one instance where we had three semis in a row pass us going in the opposite direction on a two lane (US RT 250 in Ohio). I think there was less buffeting than there would have been with no trailer. The truck also pulled the weight with no problem. There are several long grades on RT224/I-76 between Lodi and Akron and the truck was actually able to gain speed going up those hills. The only time I exceeded the 65 mph limit was topping one of those hills. I realize it will be a different story loaded but so far the ST and the trailer have far exceeded my expectations. I haven't tried it but I think I could easily stop the truck using the trailer brakes only.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried towing with it loaded yet?

I am considering open towing a SJ Cherokee (about 4500lbs) on an open trailer (about 1700) about 600 miles (each way) from AZ to Colorado (that means some grades will be encountered).

v8 4x4 2008

Would be interested to hear experiences. I would be about 800 lbs lower than the rating. I am going to go weigh the cherokee to find out it's real weight. It's mostly stock except I tossed on some 35" tires. I have removed the back seat, the trailer hitch, it has no power windows or seats, and I swapped out the intake for an aluminum one as well the an alumimum radiator. So while I can use 'curb weight' as a guide (4500lbs) my actual weight will be different (and hopefully less)

Latest posts