Towing a 23' Trailer to Yellowstone!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Beelien

Reaction score
Now I'm really going to see what my Sport Trac is capable of! :driving: Going to rent a 23' travel trailer and drive from Toronto to Yellowstone and back. Checked the trailer out the other weekend (as pictured here) and other then having to adjust the hitch height a little bit, it seemed to go alright ... although I won't be winning any 1/4 mile races. I have the full factory towing setup, which is good for 7,000lbs, the trailer is 4,100lbs and has a GVWR of 6,100lbs, so I should be good. I'm also going to be using a stabilizer hitch along with a brake control switch for the trailers electric brakes and some extension mirrors. I think that should do it ... what do you guys think?

[Broken External Image]:

Have a great time while you are out there! I'm sure your Trac will get you there and back with no problems. Yellowstone is a favorite of our - been there a couple of times and plan to head out there again. Last trip was in 2009 when we drove our Sport Trac out there. The park offers something different each time you are there! :supercool:

Looks like you have quite a drive ahead of you from your hometown! If you have time stop by the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, and Devils Tower. All spectacular!

you should be good to go... one thing i noticed based on the picture is that the camper is tipping toward your trac... i would recommend adjusting your hitch so that the trailer frame is sitting parallel to the ground... this makes sure that most of the weight is displaced over the trailers suspension and tires and takes the excess load off of your hitch... this will also help when braking so that the load doesn't shift down toward the ground in the front but more in a forward direction... this will also help gas mileage a little bit... JMO

What brand extension mirrors did you get? Will be interested in hearing how you like them. I have a set that work OK but wish they had a more secure mounting system and less vibration.

You definitely want to level out the trailer with the adjustable hitch. Like travis said it really helps with braking and load distribution. I've been around RVs my entire life and whenever we got a new trailer that was the first thing we did before we even towed it home.

As for the hitch height, yes, it will be adjusted, along with using a weight distribution hitch ... this was just a preliminary test of how everything hooked up, and how the truck felt with the trailer on. As for extension mirrors, I got these:

Last edited by a moderator:
I tow a 21.5' Fun Finder X with my ST ('08 v8). Does a good job. Definitely nicer to drive on four lane 65mph highways than 75+ (others) interstate speeds. Really notice the wind drag. I have a weight distribution hitch and a sway control bar. Recommend keeping the water tanks as low as possible as you can feel the difference.

Latest posts