Torsion twist

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
Ok so I've been doing some reading on doing the torsion twist (getting new 265/75-16 tires next week) and I have a question. I'm not the original owner, so how would I know if the truck has had a mild lift or not. Does anyone know what the stock ride height should be? I don't want to mess with it if it's already too high, like over the 2" max setting. I'm 4x4 so going over 2" would be bad lol

I have not measured it yet but I assume from what I've read that I should measure from the ground through the center of the rim to the bottom of the fender, both sides obviously lol

Oh and looking at getting a friend of mine to weld up a set of shackles for me. I think I have the measurements from another member here.

Lay on the ground and look at the front CV axles, if they are fairly level then it hasnt had the torsion twist. I twisted mine and it doesnt look that good under there. :cry:

There are a few vids on you tube under explorer torsion twist, the Sport Trac in the one vid has other modifications done to it, so I dont recommend it, it has a lot of modifications done to it that a stock one doesnt have. :argue:

I understand the torsion twist issues. I'm just curious to know if mine has had any adjustments to it or not. Ill take a look at the cv's and see if they are level or not and go from there. Thanks again for the replies.

If it doesnt have shackles or an add a leaf on the back and the front doesnt appear higher than the back it most likely hasn't been touched. In fact if your tires are all the same size just measure the space between tires and fender the front will most likely be an inch less or so give or take. The amount your gonna have to adjust the torsion bars to to accommodate your tire size wont be much. When I got mine from my dad after he passed he had 265/75/16 tires on it and the very mildly rubbed in an extreme turn if I hit a bump. It was mostly rubbing the sway bar. I climbed under turned 2 full turns on the torsion bar bolts problem solved. Basically what I'm sayingg is what your doing is a mole hill.There is way more adjustment in those torsion bars than you need. 2 full turns and you should be good to go. No need to twist them more than your application calls for. I have a 3in body lift on mine n o w with the shackles on the back and will probably do the add a leaf then too. But im running 33s and havent cranked my bars more than the 2 full turns yet mainly cuz when I was going to do the full 2 inches I snapped the driverside bolt and just havent replaced it yeg. Put your new tires on and start with the 2 turn and check it out. If you need more give it another full turn until your clear which for that tire size might be as high as 3/4 of an inch. Good luck and post some pics of the results.

Also I didnt do it to mine because I knew eventually I was lifting it but I did do it on my jeeps in the past. There is a bolt on the lower control arm that limits the turning radius and a small turn on that will keep tires from hitting your sway bar and that small adjustment you will never notice. Thats another option an the last would be some wheel spacers. Any of this will work or a small combo of them all should help if you still have concerns about over doing the torsion bar twist. I hope this helps.

Thanks carl for the tips. I'll see what I need to do once I get the tires on. Might be a week or two....may have to order them.

Latest posts