Torsion bar versus coil-over.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt DeFina

Reaction score
So, the question I have for everyone, is which is the better suspension? Torsion bar or coil-over?

I know some on this forum would say the coil-over is better, and even recommend an "upgrade" to the coil. And I suspect this is only because of the torsion bar possibly getting hit while off-roading. But I have reason to believe that torsion bar is the stronger of the two... Especially for off road.

While doing some research, on differences between the Toyota Hilux and the Tacoma, came to find out that the Hilux is built to be more of a workers truck, for the farm and off-road, while the Tacoma is more an on-road truck... Both have IFS, but Hilux uses torsion and Tacoma uses coil. Hilux in other countries is more heavy duty, capable of 1ton load. Tacoma with half the load rating, built for smoother ride in USA.

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but wouldn't the same hold for our IFS too? Making coil-over less desirable?

What am I missing here?

Personally, with no real evidence to back this opinion up, I think coil overs are very well marketed and after people spend that much money on them, they are convinced they made a great "upgrade." I'm just not sold on them...yet. Anyone can feel free to disagree, but I'll need more evidence than someone saying they dropped $X,000 on a coil over conversion and the ride is "so much better."

I'd ask Chad or Gman, they've both had both on their trucks and both use their trucks as daily's and offroad vehicles. I know that chad had the both on his Trac and was replacing the balljoints, hubs, etc, etc... monthly and couldn't keep his tires from chewing up prematurely.

Personally I can't justify spending the money on either the Superlift kits or the Coilover kits for our Trac's when for alittle more I can just do a SAS, SOA and have a stronger more versatile truck for on and offroad.

It comes down to personal preference and funds.

I think it's mostly a matter of coil-overs having more travel and torsion bars probably have a better on-road ride.

More travel on a 4wd with IFS is more of a problem than upgrade. Unless you like replacing CVs.

Coilovers are far better than torsion bars. T-bars are super cheap suspension for a manufacturer to put on trucks.

I have had both and the C/O were a 110% upgrade both on and off road.

Latest posts