Torsion bar replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 02 Trac is still leaning. The torsion bars need to be replaced. I've looked at them and the project looks like something I could do, but I want to know if there are any special tools involved.

Also...where might I pick up some OEM torsion bars, either new or used?

Thanks!

Auto recyclers on S. Sunrise Blvd. in Ranco Cordova. The Dealer will want far to much money. Have you checked the torsion bolts to make sure one is not out of adjustment?

Also, have you checked the upper & lower control arm bushings; front shocks; and front end links? Front end link could be bent. Highly recommend replacing the front end links w/ MOOG Problem Solver line that come in a AutoZone box w/ AutoZone part no.

You need a 13mm socket and a 2 finger gear puller, some jackstands and a jack.

Here is how you remove it, and use the puller.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have the money for new torsion bars you could always buy longer torsion bar bolts from Todd Z. I bought a set, just haven't had a chance to install them yet, looks like they'll have to wait umtil spring time now.

:banana:

Oh...they're bad alright.

The driver's side is tightened completely. No change in the ride height. The passenger side may still be good. The Trac has been pulling to the left for a small while now. I researched how to adjust them on this site. The driver's side needs to be completely replaced. I might be able to keep the passenger, but I can't get the vehicle aligned until I fix the torsion bars.

Always replace both at same time, personally I get new rather then used, JMO. You could also look int a coilover kit setup instead (eliminates the torsion bars all together), gonna have to search around though because some companies don't sell them anymore and some just sell parts of the kits.

Latest posts