torosion twist/ Shackle Lift?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Teitell

Reaction score
Honestly how hard do you think it is to install it, and what parts do you need to buy for it, I'm interested in doing it but I"m not the most mechanic person in the world, I'm still learning.

thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
Very simple. Jack the rear up by the frame, but enough that the pressure is off the rear axle. Remove the OE shackles and install the replacements. Put bolts in and tighten. Let the vehicle down. For the front, with the front wheels on the ground, use a wrench and tighten the bolts until you get the desired height. Drive it around, then check it.

Take it to an alignment shop.

I do recomend you buy some camber bolts. On the earlier Explorers, they game with bolts that were almot ready to be made adjustable. You just needed to put the plates from the dealer. On the trac's, they used bolts. So, for my Trac, I installed camber bolts from Ingalls Engineering. The alignment shop was able to get the alignment exactly where it needed to be with those bolts.

Tom

Here is a link to the bolts I used.

They are easy to install, but hard to remove due to limited space and brake lines in the way.

Shops usually charge about $100.00 to install them. if you can install them yourself, you keep that $100.00, which is a good thing.

Tom

Caymen you need to have the front wheels off the ground

For the front, with the front wheels on the ground, use a wrench and tighten the bolts until you get the desired height

For the front, with the front wheels off the ground, use a wrench and tighten the bolts until you get the desired height

It's a straightforward project if you have the right tools on hand. A jack, jackstands, and wrenches. This summer, a friend and I did the shackle lift on both of our Tracs in one evening.

Did it on both my Trac and my brothers Explorer. Never took the front wheels off the ground.

With the wheels on the ground, one guy could tighten the bolt while the other guy checked the ride height.

Tom

Has anybody done a project on this? Also anybody from Dallas wanna help me do it sometime?:blink:

Latest posts