Torch add-a-leaf kit and 3" body lift concerns on 20 year old Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parker_lansing

Supporting Member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I have a 3" body lift kit and 1-3" suspension lift kit (described below) that I want installed on my 2003 Sport Trac XLT (121k miles, southern vehicle, no rust). The truck needs to have all of the cab mount insulators replaced, as well as new shocks, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to install both kits.

I don't need 6 inches of lift, but I'm going for 4 inches with the ability to adjust up if I want to in the future.
My plan is to put 31.5" BF Goodrich KO2 Baja Champion A/T tires on with Performance Replicas/PR185/16X8/MATTE BLACK/00MM/185MB-68650 wheels. I hope these don't look too small with a 4" lift.

There's a local place here (AllPro) that specializes in aftermarket work. They mostly do Jeeps but had a look at my truck anyway. They don't do body lifts on any vehicles, and they had some concerns about installing the suspension lift on my Sport Trac.

Their concerns and recommendations are listed below. They seem like reasonable concerns, but I thought that this community might be able to confirm or negate these issues for me.

Body Lift
Performance Accessories 2001 - 2005 Ford Sport Trac 3" Body Lift Kit # 70023
Gap Guards for 2001-2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD/4WD Gas by Performance Accessories
For reference, I had an earlier question on the compatibility of this body lift (the current consensus is that it is compatible).

Concerns:
- There are a lot of things that need to be checked for binding, rubbing, and proper alignment during a body lift.
- My kit has adapters for the bumpers.
- Looking around this forum, I see a misaligned fuel filler pipe on this Gen 1 with a 3" lift.
- I found a reference to the radiator needing to be raised.
- There are several reports that an AC line needs to be moved in order to avoid rubbing on something.
- The front tow hooks need to be removed because they won't align with the front bumper cover.

Parts on hand:
- body lift kit
- gap guards

Suspension Lift
Torch Off-Road 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 3" Leveling Lift Kit W/ Add-A-Leaf 4X4 4WD

Concerns:
- The springs on my truck are 20 years old, and I won't get the kind of lift I'm looking for because the springs are worn in. Furthermore, since the springs are so old, there is a chance the springs won't hold up for very long with the extra tension on them.
- Although it looks good, the torsion bar might break when it is re-keyed, just due to its age and wear. They don't want my truck taking up space on their lift while I hunt for a replacement.
- My shocks are absolutely shot.

Their Recommendations:
- Replace the leaf springs with brand new ones.
- Buy new torsion bars just in case the old ones break during install. They guess that it might be challenging to source a new one (they were right).
- Buy 2 new torsion adjusters and nuts.
- Shocks: They recommended Monroe Reflex or SenseTrack, or KYB if I couldn't find Monroe. However, I have heard that the Monroe coil-over shocks ride like a brick and make the vehicle less stable on the road, unless you're towing. Also, they have a reputation of wearing out faster than other brands.

Inquiry out for updated Addco 633 rear sway bar.

That passenger side torsion bar is near impossible to find. It took me days to track one down, and one finally turned up on eBay.

I learned that, although my torsion lift is adjustable from 1" to 3", a 4WD should not exceed 2" because it puts too much strain on the CV joints, and will wear them out quickly, or even bind them if the lift goes beyond 2". Most people seem to do 1.5" or 1.75" to be safe. For a 2WD, it can be adjusted up to 3" because there are no CV joints. That means I will definitely be installing the body lift after this, so I'll have somewhere between 4" and 4.75" total lift. Plus, the upgraded body mounts are slightly taller than factory (not certain how much).

Update (January 8, 2024):
- Entire front/rear end were inspected by two shops and anything that was worn and affected the suspension or would require an alignment has been replaced.
November 2023:
- Installed new leaf springs (State Spring)
December 2023: (AllPro)
- Installed new KYB shocks (ordered from O'Reilly)
January 2024: (AllPro)
- Replaced worn factory body mounts with poly/Kevlar Daystar KF04015BK - 01-05 Ford SportTrac Body Mounts.
- They ran into a problem with two rusted out bolts in the rear, and were able to order replacements overnight from the local dealership.
- The Torch leveling kit was installed, but not the extra leaf springs. They weren't able to get the driver's side perfectly level with the passenger side, but it is really close. They used up exactly 2" of lift on both sides to make the front level with the rear. They recommended not to lower the passenger side from where it is at (2") because it will get too close to a bolt (not sure where but I'll see if I can get a photo of it). So, the outcome of this leveling kit is that on the 4WD, the front can be raised to 2" exactly, not more or less. I'm wondering if I could get away with raising the driver's side just past 2" to get it perfectly level without causing extra CV wear.
February 2024: New wheels from TWD - Tires/Wheels Direct (Performance Replicas/PR185/16.0X8/MATTE BLACK (5x). New tires from Belle Tire: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 31.8"x9.3". No rubbing. These tires fit with just under half an inch of extra clearance when the steering wheel is cranked all the way.

Still to do:
- sway bar upgrade(s)
- body lift

Torch Off-Road has a 30 day return policy, but I was able to return the unused leaf springs minus a 30% restock fee.
Pretty easy to work with.

Questions:

1a. Does anyone have any experience installing these types of lift kits on 20+ year old vehicles?
1b. If so, did any of the above issues (or others not mentioned here) complicate the install?
2. Is there any other preventative maintenance that should be done on the frame/body while doing this work?
3. Is there a comprehensive list of things won't align properly after a body lift, and are there fixes for those?
4. Did anyone else have a problem getting the driver's side and passenger side even?

Updated November 17, January 14, and February 28 with current status.

Last edited:
I'm lowered 3 inches so no body lift experience.

Didn't read these other threads, but there may be some info regarding your Performance Accessories 70023 lift kit. GL
Search results for query: pa 70023

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search/2306808/?q=pa+70023&o=relevancehttps://www.explorerforum.com/forum...port-trac-4x4-lift-options-discussion.231158/

Thanks! I'm updating my post with some things I found from those links and other searches on and off this site.

Do you have a photo of your truck? I wonder what lowering 3" looks like.

Do you have a photo of your truck? I wonder what lowering 3" looks like.

f4eR8y5.jpeg
98oO71D.jpeg

Wow, it looks like it just rolled off the show room floor!
Did that require making any adjustments to the fuel filler pipe and radiator height, or anything else?

Thanks. Bought used in 2009 with 46,000 miles. Averaged around 3000 to 4000 miles a year until I retired in 2021. Currently just below 90,000 and drove less than 2000 miles last year. Almost a garage queen now.

Suspension drops are relatively easy with 2001-05 Sport Tracs. Remove both front bump stops unless there is more than ONE inch of clearance from the LCA with the tires on the ground. Loosen torsion bolts to desired height, install UCA camber kits, rear leaf blocks, and align. I used FR98 lowering keys because I only dropped about 1-1/2 inches with the torsion bolts almost out. Also upgraded to a larger one inch diameter Addco 633 rear sway bar for vastly improved cornering and handling. Virtually no body roll when turning on pavement.

Lowered 2.75" Front & 3" Rear/ Monroe OE Spectrum (SensaTrac)/ Addco 633/ Stock size 235/70-16 Michelin Defender LTX MS/ SCT X3 with 87 Economy- 87 Octane- 92 Octane tunes from Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning/ Zabteck Modified Throttle Body/ Dynomax SuperTurbo with stock resonator removed/ aFe 31-10020 Pro Dry-S Drop In Panel Air Filter/ Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2 Spark Plug Wires/ APS Upper and Lower Stainless Steel Grilles/ JDM Black Tail Lights/ WeatherTech Front Window Visors/ Billet Outside Bed Tie Down Delete Plates/ Nifty Catch-All Floor Liners/ Moser 8.8" Differential Cover/ Deerfield Precision braided stainless brake lines/ OE Rubber Bed Mat

Oh wow, I'm going to have to pick that list apart! Sorry about peppering you with questions, but I can tell you clearly had a plan with yours, and I'm wanting to hear about the decisions behind the modifications.

Can you tell me a bit more about that rear sway bar?
Is that specifically for lowering, or is that a general upgrade?

Last edited:
Love the utility of the Sport Trac, but I'm 5'5" and stock height was just too high for my shorter mother to get in and out of easily. Sure, I could carry around a step stool, but really? Even worse was loading something heavy into my almost chest high bed. There are very few places on this island of Oahu to off road legally. Always liked the look of moderately lowered sport trucks and because of their lower center of gravity, the vastly improved street handling and safety made lowering a no brainer for me.

Stock rear sway bar is 19mm (3/4") and undersized for this vehicle. Stock front bar is large and more than adequate. Stock RWD front bar is 29mm and 4WD is 32mm. Doesn't sound like much, but the 1/4" difference between the 3/4" stock rear sway bar and the 1" Addco 633 is HUGE regarding strength and stiffness. 633 was discontinued, but Addco recently made another production run. Upgrading to a larger rear sway bar will improve the street handling and safety of ANY 2001-05 Sport Trac regardless of suspension mods. Only drawback is if you off road because the stiffness of the larger bar limits articulation. Some have fabricated quick disconnects for the rear sway bar end links when off roading.

Recent thread from EF. Appears Addco has redesigned the 633 that is a similar to the highly sought after, but out of business Explorer Express that made the "X-Spec" rear sway bar. Instead of straight trailing arms used on the original that sometimes caused shock clearance issues, the trailing arms are now radiused for added shock clearance. The redesigned 633 remains 1" diameter and smaller than the 1-1/8" EE "X-Spec".
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/addco-633-fitment-issues.501436/post-3987862
https://www.google.com/search?q=add...c0ODRqMGoxNagCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

My kid just did a torch lift on a 04 and has no issues and he is running close to 32s, doing 31 should not be a issue on rubbing if using stock wheels and 10 w, where i had a few rubs at full articulation is with 33 x12.5 with a less off set, very minor. i have a 4 inch lift,, you could run a 1 inch body mount or even a 1/2 inch, and if you are running factory mounts still they are most likely worn so even new poly mounts will give you a small increase, no need for any spacers or filler issues with susp lift.. comes down to cost and wheel and tire choice.. i would do either one myself just to know and understand the lift and that it is done right.

I have the body lift on my 04. The radiator gets lowered not raised. Everything lines back up pretty easy as long as you take your time. Also make sure you follow the instructions closely as several wires have to be loosened. The ac hose does need to be secured away from belt. I drilled 2 small holes in my fan shroud and used zip ties to pull hose clear. Has wprked great so far.

This is exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you!
Did you need to use wheel spacers for your 35s? I'm planning on 33x9.50, hopefully without spacers.

I have body lift and 5 inch ranger lift on mine with the 35s. I ran 32s when i was just body lift and torsion crank. Scrubbed at full lock. No spacers and wheels had -12 offset
Is that a 5 inch suspension lift? If so, how do you get away with that without binding the CVs? I thought the max was 2" on a 4x4.

Latest posts