Tonneau Cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Vincent

Reaction score
Been having problems with my factory tonneau cover recently. I am having trouble getting it to latch, i have to slam it fairly hard to latch it. then after i drive a short while i find it han come completely unlatched. Has anyone else had these problems, and is there a cure for this?

My latch, closest to the back window, wont latch a lot of the time because of the cable not sliding very well. Ive sprayed it with lube a few times but end up prying the lock mechanism back into position with a pair of needle nose pliers when it wont lock.

My ST is 2003

Good Luck, Dave :driving:

I used a spray lube made by LiquidWrench that had Teflon in it. If you disconnect the cables at each of the 4 latch releases and use the tiny straw like nozzle to spray into the cable until you see the lube leaking out of the plastic cable housing on the bottom of the key lock.

Now spray the latch releas mechanizms and then lock and unlock the tonneau cover until the latch catches and releases properly.

The next step requires that you test to see if the center hinge mounting is loose. If it is loose, it will allow the cover to move forwards and backwards slightly, which is just enough to cause latching problem, especially with the front cover. To test the center hinge with the cover closed try to lightly pry upwards at the center hinge, or crawl inside the bed and push up on the center hinge. If the cover moves up and down...even a little bit, you should adjust the center hinge pin mount.

To adjust, loosen the bolts that hold the center hinge pin mounting leaf to the center hinge. You will see that the mounting holes are slotted to allow for adjustment, but the bolts/screw are very hard to loosen because they have a tough thread locker on them. Once loosened, you can push upward on the hold down pin mounting leaf unti the pin is pressed up tight against the top of the mounting hole in the side of the bed, and tighten the bolt/screw.

The problem is that this will not stay in place, so I recommend that you pin the hold down pin leaf in place by drilling two small holes through both the hold down pin mounting leaf and the piece that it bolts to and instert to small self-tapping sheet metal screws. The prevents any slipping which will cause the center mounting pin to move up and down. That up and down movement allows the cover to move forward and backwards just enough to cause misallignment between the latches and the strikers.

....Rich

I am having problems with my cover also. I have replaced the cable but when turning the key it doesn't pull the cable all the way to pop the latch. Everything is in place correctly just like the old. Does anyone know if I can adjust something or what to even look for?