tonneau cover lock question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Taverna

Reaction score
Quick question for anyone that has purchased an ST with the tonneau cover included. Does Ford match the locks on the cover with the ignition key? Im thinking of purchasing a hard cover through a private party and want to know if I then will need to get new key cylinders for the cover that match a seperate key or my ignition key, if possible. Have a Gen2 if that makes any difference. Its unbelievable, a 500$ option when bying, but Ford wants 1200$ (tax included) for a new cover as an accesory.

It will be necessary to rekey your cover to the ignitionl key. I had mine done last week for

about 30.00 per lock on a 07 st.

Or at least make sure you ket a set of keys to the Lock on the cover.

I like having mine different. Dont have to worry about haveing the key in the ignition. and shutting off the engine if you have to run out quick.

I got mine after I got the Sport Trac. and I do not miss having them keyed the same.

Just my $.02

********* Important ********

Make sure you get the latches from the bed. they will cost you if you dont get them with the Cover

I just bought a OEM cover from a poster on this site. It had no key, so I spoke to my Ford guy who told me this:

- You can take the cylinders out and take them to a locksmith who can key them the same as your ignition. I did, they wanted $25 each to do, and not sure it he could.

- Order a new set from Ford. If you go online to any the Ford Parts sites, they can be had for between $43 and $45 for a set with two keys. (I gave my locl Ford guy the net prices and he matched them).

It took me all of 15 minutes to pop the old out and the new in.

So to recap, you can get the set in the top keyed like your key, or get a full new set with to keys. Either way, about $50 to do... and well worth it.

Side note, the new set keys are the smaller old style keys, not the FOB size of your ignition key, so really not that bad.

The older 2001-2006 Tonneau covers were keyed to the ignition key from the factory and could easlly be changed to fit any Gen-1 Sport Trac by just changing the tumbler pins.

The newer 2007 & up covers have a separate key which I understand cannot be keyed to the ignition without a complete change of the lock cylinder on the tonneau cover.

...Rich

Rich, that was why I just went ahead and bought a new set. I was told they could be keyed the same. Then the dealer told me they could not as Ford does not supply the tumbler pins. The locksmith had never seen them before, so bottom line, I think you are better off just ordering a new set and done! I am not sure, but I heard the 08-09-10 MY OEM cover is keyed the same from the factory? However, you would think if that was the case, given your VIN, you should be able to get a set or locks... who knows... just buy the new locks!~

When I bought my 07, the dealer had previously made a buck by selling off my tonneau cover, leaving me to buy a new one at $750.