Tonneau Cover cracks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Cabrera

Reaction score
I bought a used Ford Hard Folding Tonneau Cover and it was shipped cross country. Of course UPS beat the hell out of this 76 Lbs package. When it arrived it had some cracks on the corners (See Pix). Can anyone tell me

1. What is this cover is made of?

2. Any opinion about fixing it with resin & fiberglass?

3. What paint to use after repair?

4. Anyone else with similar issue?

Thanx again for any help.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

You need to file a claim with UPS or whoever you bought it from. If it was packed correctly, UPS is at fault and owes you money. If not packed well, then the seller owes you money back. Sorry I can't help on your questions though, I'm not sure what they're made of, mine's aftermarket.

Went through the UPS claim deal. They refused for improper packing and Paypal wants me to return it on my dime ($150.00) then they will refund. Better to keep & fix it.

I had some cracking on the inside of mine. I used regular fiberglass cloth and resin. Sanded it all down when it cured and then painted it with a rattle can.

If it were on the outside, I would have taken it to one of the many surfboard shops in the area and had a fiberglasser fix it.

I would argue with paypal a bit more. I got a bad set of tires from ebay about 2 years and after having no luck with the uncooperative seller, I got back the purchase price, shipping and return shipping.

The seller is responsible for packing and shipping. The seller needs to file the claim. You can make note and photos of the damage and if you have to ship it back do it the cheapest way possible.

I personally think that PayPal does tend to favor the seller over the buyer and the assumption seems to be that the the buyer is trying to cheat the seller.

...Rich

Was it even packed? Or was it shiped with no protection? If not, I would be jumping on the seller. That is alot of damage. It may continue to crack. Proper repair may eat up anything you saved.

If paypal is ging to reimberse all of it. I would send it back. Keep an eye on swap and sale. They come up all the time.

Fast Eddie is correct. The seller did not properly pack the tonneau for shipment, and that appears to be confirmed by UPS, although I am sure they would want to deny any damages caused by their monkeys.

It would be nearly impossible to fix an cracks on the exterior and make it cosmetically acceptable on the textured finish. I would take all the photo you can of the cover and the packaging. Ship the cover back to get your money back and sue the seller for the return shipping charges if he won't pay. If the seller wants to go after UPS for the damages and shipping costs, that's his decision, but you did nothing wrong, and you should not be required to eat a dime of the expenses.

Hell, the guy may have shipped you a damaged cover in the first place, then thought if you complained about the damages it would be between you and UPS.

You never said what the seller said about all this? That's a critical part of the issue. A good seller might just refund your money rather than deal with having to pay you to ship it back to him. Heck, he can't sell it like that and he will probably end up throwing it away if he can't sell some of the parts off of it like the cables, locks, and mounting brackets. If you don't ship it back, you might recoup some of your money by sell the undamaged parts.

...Rich

Also, if you paid via Credit Card through paypal you might be able to do a chargeback.

Also, look at the following links for phone numbers and emails for Executives at paypal if you have any troubles.

Latest posts