Tommorrow's the day

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Jolley

Reaction score
Tommorrow I will be doing step three of my major mods list. I have an appointment at VMP tuning to have my STA tuned on a Dyno. The price isn't too bad considering that the XCal3 is included in the price and all tunes are custom.

Congrats! I'm very interested to hear how this turns out. I'm feeling the need to add a little aggression to my STA. I've heard that a really "great" tune doesn't exist for this truck...of course I could be way off base on that.

Went to see Justin at VMP Tuning, very nice guy and easy to deal with. He started out by asking what I was looking for in the way of performance and he also wanted to know if I had any issues with the way the truck was acting as far as drivability.

I wanted to try and extend the torque curve further down into the lower rpm range and I also told him about a throttle problem I was having when doing a moderate first gear start. When pressing the throttle it would take off in a normal way but then there would be a drastic increase in rpms inconsistent with throttle response.

He took a look at the parameters of the factory tune, which there is an enormous amout of information in there, and noticed a couple things there that may help so he made a few adjustments with the cam variation and timing to see what the results would be.

As far as my issue with the rpm jump on take off he again looked at the factory parameters and made an adjustment to the points at which the truck went into open loop.

Justin had no problem answering the many questions I had and explaining his answer if I needed clarification, it was a good experience. I opted not to go with the 88mm MAF housing for now because as close as these motors are to the mustang engine, with the longer runners and the mono throttle body the intake system of these things are still a bit restrictive and the gains he's seen are minimal when the motor is NA.

The truck is definitely a different animal now, she has instant throttle response and alot more power in the lower rpm range. The midrange torque is really noticable I can see this thing towing something much better than before. My trip home from Deltona yeilded 22.6 mpg combined with a 75mph cruise on I-4 and then feather footing the in town portion which made up about 1/3 of the trip.

Another thing to mention is that you can hear the difference in the exhaust of the Trac now, I'm not sure how to explain it but the tone is much smoother at idle and especially while crusing down the interstate, there was a drone there that was bugging me and now it's gone.

BTW I wanted to get a couple clips but my SD card took a dive on me, but this thing sounds really good at WOT on the dyno, I had to smile.

With all said and done I picked up about 30 rwhp and 50 ft/lbs of rwtq with only the tune, a Noc-Perf tube using the stock airbox and Magnaflow exhaust which I feel is pretty solid.

I didn't hit the numbers I was hoping for but we did pull out the lower end torque I wanted so the trade off is fine with me. :cool:

AdrnlnRush,9/10/2009 04:34 MT

As far as my issue with the rpm jump on take off he again looked at the factory parameters and made an adjustment to the points at which the truck went into open loop.

I'm not a tuner but this makes absolutely no sense to me. While I don't fully understand what problem you were having with rpms goin up more than what they should while you are accelerating I don't see how forcing the engine into open loop is solving the issue, seems that if anything it is covering up a problem that needs attention. Not trying to dis on anybody or anything else just trying to understand the reasoning behind this.

Told ya he was a great tuner!

Glad to hear you got good results!

I'm gonna meet with Justin on sat to get some baselne numbers on our Saleen!

I highly recommend anybody with an 07+ get thier tune from VMP, he has tuned a few different Tracsnow with great results!

Jeff, can you post the dynograph or email it to me, I'd like to see it!

l1tech, you have to remember you are not talking to the tuner here :) and what I may have understood from an explanation may not be what actually happened :unsure:.

Here is what I understood the explanation as: These trucks are actually tuned from the factory to not go into open loop until it gets into higher rpms. So what may have been happening is with the 1st gear on these being geared so low I may have been right at the edge of the open loop point so that with just a little more throttle it would finally hit that point and then go. I have even noticed this pulling into traffic after the shift into second I could mash the motor and it would start to go then there would be a noticable increase in accerlation very similar to a throttle delay on transit buses.

Now, I may have it all wrong and that is definitely a possibility. However I do know for a fact that the Trac runs much better than it did. There is no delay in throttle response now, it is making more power than before and the motor just runs smoother in general.

You usually do a really good job at explaining things so if this sounds like I may have the right idea about it but am just not using the right terminology then please unscramble what I just said. :D

Doug, you are alive (just kidding) when I saw the results that you got from Justin there was no doubt that I'd be using him especially once you see what he is capable of on other modular motors. As I said before he's really easy to deal with. I guess posting the chart would be the thing to do wouldn't it?

[Broken External Image]:

Nice A/F ratio is a ton better.....mid range really increased! The nbers you hav are pretty right on for your mods, good work!

You still planning to do the gears now!? With your new gains it kinda makes the yeas not seem so important huh!!!??

I'm not so sure about gears... maybe a set of 3.90s? I am thinking I'll definitely be doing an LS mod.

Justin did tell me he has a guy that put a whipple charger on an 07 ST with a 4.6. It's not a simple bolt on there are some mods he had to do but he said it was making really good numbers.

I asked him about an idea I have and he says it's definitely do-able and at a decent price... this is going to be a suprise mod if I do it.

Don't think Brenspeed is in my future ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts