To TJR re weight loss.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some doctor found that when it was used, and still is used, to help male children whose testicles didn't drop, they also lost weight. This was back in the 50's. And its been pretty much perfected.

Somebody has to say it....so JerryA - "are your balls at your knees yet?"

When my endo told me I had type 2 and needed to change back in mid-Feb he asked me to come back in 10 to 12 weeks and try to lose 10 lbs.

Four weeks later, I had lost about 5 pounds, but was only exercising 3 days a week, and was somewhat watching what I ate. I knew I had to crank it up a notch.

From that point on, for the next 8 weeks, I worked out 6 days a week and counted every calorie, carb, protein, etc, in a food journal and absolutely kept my diet balanced and at my thresholds.

That made all the difference in the world. An hour a day of exercise, 20 to 30 minutes of tha cardio, the other weight training, and watching my calorie intake. That's it. I actually defy just about anyone to NOT lose weight on such a plan. Essentially, my body type (age, height, frame) is built for about 2300 to 2400 calories a day assuming I do just about nothing. I put myself on a 1900 calorie a day diet, and stuck to it. And at least 6 out of 7 days a week I exercised for about 600 calories. That's about 1000 calories worth of fat burned each day. I'm told its about 3500 calories for a pound of fat. Do the math..about 2 pounds a week lost.

I know 2 pounds a week doesn't sound like a lot, but for me (and most people) you simply cannot beat the simple science and math of it all. Slow and steady wins the race. 1900 calories a day does not leave one hungry *IF* you eat the right foods. An hour of exercise a day CAN fit into anyone's schedule.

The absolute *KEY* to getting fit, however, is lose enough weight and get your metabolism up to the point that exercise is fun (again) and a part of your life...a part that you enjoy and WANT to have there.

For me, that point was at about 30 lbs lost. Once I dropped well below 250, things started getting easier, and easier, and I found out I ENJOY exercise and eating BETTER food.

Anyone can do it...

For me, "doing it" meant getting rid of all my old excuses. Excuses like:

- I'm happy this way

- I like food too much

- This is just my body type

- We all have to die of something; for me, it won't be starvation

- I deserve this (food)

Those were all "crap" rationalizations...this from a guy who's pet peeve is other people's rationalizing.

I rode a couch and ate crap for about 1/4 a century. I honestly think that if I could TURN IT AROUND in less than 8 months, ANYONE CAN!

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Am not sure anyone can TJR, are medical conditions to take into consideration.

Like having an overactive refrigerator Gland:grin:

Jerry, I'm certainly not a doctor and I'm glad you do have medical professionals involved. My medical knowledge as it is, I'm definitely not qualified to tell anyone how to reach their health goals. I share my thoughts and what little knowledge I have in the case that perhaps I think of something that hasn't been considered. Sounds like you're on top of this and have the right people surrounding you. If you're asking lots of questions and are sure you understand what is happening with your body and you are reaching the goals you have set...perfect. As I said, as long as you're being safe. I'm happy for you.

This post is right on time for me as I was needing motivation to get back to working out. I've taken most of this year off and can't believe its almost October. I never met my summer fitness goals.:smack: I'm looking to get down to 205; currently at 220. I truly am one of those big boned people, not just an excuse for my weight. 205 is actually pretty lean for me.

I graduated high school at 6'0, 205 lbs, lean, had the top four of the 6 pack (blame genetics for the other missing 2), benched 290, squated 405 and ran a 4.7 40. The weight I can get back to, but the fitness...probably never again.:cry: Of course, in high school, 5 days a week I was lifting weights once a day, running twice a day, practicing football or baseball, and eating about 2,500 calories. That just ain't ever gonna be possible again.:sad:

I'm actually about to start the Insanity workout program. Maybe I'll update on how that goes.

Yea, I remember back in the day I could easily leg press over 450 lbs. But thats because I had nothing else to do when school was over, so off to the boys club to work out. But now, my metabolism had slowed down, I worked in the field for over 10 years so fast food was my friend, and I didn't excercise anymore.

And for that, I went from a nice 180 after high school to 235. But thats the joy of this program, once off, it resets my metabolism to a much more active state. So getting back to the gym and working out and being able to need to take in a few extra cals (not fast food) will be alot more productive than it has been in the past.

And Travis, no, they aren't to my knees yet!

Oh, I didn learn something, guys on steriods will take the injections of this stuff, becouse when they take the roids for an extended time, the body shuts down its natural production, and this stuff turnes it back on. Some guys are actually taking this tuff to try to double thier testosterone(sp?). Heard this from a guy in my home group who works out and teaches Jujitsu.

Another update on me:

Was at my endo yesterday. He states I have officially "reversed" my type 2 diabetes. My last A1C level as 5.6...normal.

My total weight loss was underestimated by me. I guess I forgot just how big I got. At my current 199 lbs, I have lost 84 pounds in the last 7 months.

Diet and exercise...

TJR