To drop the spare

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Can you use a screwdriver or a ratchet with extensions and a screwdriver bit to lower the spare tire on a 2007 Sport trac. I really don't want to remove the child car seat to get to the jack and tool behind the rear seat. I'd like to check the tire pressue and flip it so I can check it without lowering it in the future. Any ideas??

'07 ST

:rofl:'07 ST HAS a spare tire and the jack tools.

Remove the safety seat, get your tire tool, and flip the spare.

Hopefully you won't be needing them again for a long time. :supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove the safety seat, get your tire tool, and flip the spare.

Hopefully you won't be needing them again for a long time

DITTO, I wouldnt want to get the screwdriver bit or extensions, stuck in the winch area.

Use the one peice OEM crank. JMO:grin:

Just got nice and cozy with lowering the spare Saturday night. Left the hockey game only to find the driver's rear flat in the parking lot.

Got it done. Dropped the spare, checked the pressure(only 15-18 lbs), re-filled and flipped the spare when I put it back so that now I can check the pressure without lowering it..

I flipped the spare on both my Tracs.

Pro: Easy to check the air.

Con: A rock can take out the valve stem. It's a long shot, but keep an eye on it.

As I understand it, one reason the manufacturer puts the valve stem on the top side is that it also puts the mounting face for the wheel on the bottom side, where it normally won't collect dirt and mud like the top face does. That way the mounting face of the spare will bolt on the hub without anything in between to keep the wheel from mounting properly.