Tlusty Czwartek -- Fat Thursday in Poland

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
Today I was introduced to an old Polish tradition -- Fat Thursday. I also got to eat a bunch of Paczki. Everywhere I went at work, folks were pushing these jelly-filled pastries at me. To heck with my high cholesterol. These things are good. The Air Force will need a C-5 to get me back to the U.S. after this tour. :)

9b7c24963ec62f1e9f773ee01a52267d.jpg

Rodger,

I don't think you would be able to eat them if I sent them through our mail system. I mailed three boxes to myself back in December. I drove to the Post Office in my car, which arrived by boat this week. The boxes have still not arrived. You would have some dried-out, moldy, and bug-infested rolls when they arrived. :(

They have been a Fat Thursday staple in the Toledo, Ohio area for years. However, many areas of this country know nothing about it. Same as the King Cake I guess...

MMMMM looks good, What are the prune flavored ones for?? Old folks or if you eat too many of the other flavors..:lol:

:lol:

I've been eating like an old person here. Bread, yogurt, keilbasa, lunch meat and fruit for breakfast; soup, bread, potatoes, vegetables and meat for lunch; and for dinner, things like perogi, chicken, fish, broccoli, green beans, boiled potatoes, etc. I've ate in a restaurant for 40 straight days, since I haven't moved into my apartment yet. I was supposed to move in today, but the landlord has delayed that until March 1st now. It hasn't gotten old yet, because many of the restaurants make home-style meals, and they aren't too unhealthy, as long as I stay away from the desserts.

That reminds me of a short story...One of the waitresses a couple of weeks ago in Italy told a couple of us in her broken English that she was the menu (meaning there was no menu, but she would try to explain what was available). She spoke so little English, and was cute, and for some reason I said, "I guess you are the dessert then". I was quite embarrassed, as was she, when she understood exactly what I said. I've learned to never assume someone doesn't understand English.

Great story--Reminds me of several years ago when I went to Japan with a college team I was on. During the trip, we visited a small, remote town, and the local high school English teacher (who didn't speak it that well, and who had never before met a native English speaker) acted as our translator.

We stayed at a small bed-and-breakfast type hotel run by a family. At one point, the owner of the house asked the translator to tell us something. It became clear that what the owner intended to tell us was, "If you need anything, let us know, our family is here to help you." But what the translator told our all-male college-aged team was something like, "If you see something you wish for, the innkeeper's three daughters will satisfy all your desires." It took a while for us to explain why we were laughing--and a while longer after that to explain that we understood what he intended to say, and that we were not actually expecting the daughters to do what he said. (Although they were VERY cute.)

Nelson,

Where are you stationed? (I understand exact locals cannot be disclosed) Have you had a chance to go over to the Chech Republic yet? Two places that you would enjoy are...Prague -The Old Clock Tower and Catherdral, Kings Bridge and the M.I.1 steps and do not froget to go over to Tiplice (check spelling) for fun.

(long way for an OKIE like me)

dimas

Nelson,

You newbie to Polish food. You need to come to NePA during church bazaar season. You haven't lived till you've tried one of everything cooked by old gramma's at Polish Catholic Churches... :D

dimas,

I'm in Bydgoszcz, which is about two hours NW of Warsaw. I haven't been to the Czech Republic yet, but plan to visit there and several other surrounding countries. I haven't decided whether I will go to Berlin, Prague or Vienna first. My first trip out of town may be to Torun this weekend. It is a short drive and I've heard it is nice there. I've posted a link to a video about the city below.

Adam,

I'm sure the grandmas cook well, but I get to eat the "real deal" here. :cool:

I'm sure the grandmas cook well, but I get to eat the "real deal" here.

These are the "real deal" too, just not from the motherland. Usually, it's one or two generations separated. But we got out haluski, kielbasa, pierogis, piggies, golabki, and anything else guaranteed to give you a heart attack on your drive home--or your money back. :D

Hopefully I'll get to Poland in the not to distant future. I'd love to see the towns where my family has roots.

Latest posts