tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Stevens

Reaction score
Okay so I decided that more than likley am going to use 33 inch tires but i may want to go with 35 inch tires after my lift, is it necessary for me to regear my axles right away or can it wait a few months

Last edited by a moderator:
It can wait as long as you can handle the slowed performance.

how do you think it will handle towing with the 35s?

Depends on what you're towing. I personally won't tow more than our lawn trailer with my Sport Trac but I never intended this to be a tow vehicle. I have a Tahoe for that. The ST does a lot of things well but nothing great. Considering that it was only barely good at towing in the first place, adding 35s decreases that ability by a good bit.

Consider that a half ton pickup tows pretty well. A Superduty tows great. A dually diesel 5th wheel tows best. How does the Sport Trac stack up stock? How about with 35s?

My trailer hitch gets more action as body protection than towing implement.:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks jerry I didn't know that, guess I'm going with 4.56... also I'm not looking to tow anything over 4000lbs I normally take the camper or boat on 600 mile round trips and they don't weigh over 4000 loaded maybe more like 3500 max

Can someone post a link of a 4.56 ring and pinion that will work on the front and rear as well as anything else I may need for when i change out the gears thanks in advance

i have towed my dads gmc sierra and it seams struggle with it but thats all i have towed so i dont really have much to base that on

Travis, I tow with my ST all the time. I have towed my old Show Truck (1987 GMC Sonoma) on a heavy uhaul car trailer over the Pa., W.V., Oh., N.Y., Conn., R.I. mountains and didn't have much trouble, I was in the higher RPM ranges most of the time but I was also climbing some pretty big mountains. I tow my custom made '98 S-10 back-half trailer loaded down with upto 3,600lbs. (the trailer is 1,000lbs. empty). I also tow my neighbors utility trailer with just about anything you can haul on it.

Keep in mind I have a class IV htich, not using the bumper hitch.

When I towed my GMC with my Trac in stock form it did o.k., I think it handled better after I lifted it and went to the 33's, JMO.

For the gears I'd email either Chad or Todd Z, I know Chad had 4.56's in his IFS diff before he did his SAS and I believe Todd has 4.56's in his Green Trac.

You may want to look at Todd Z's trans cooler too if you tow long distance, maybe look into a remote auxilary trans filter too.

Latest posts