Tires with 2000 miles starting to feather

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Stehle

Reaction score
My Michelin LTX's have 2,000 miles on them, and I noticed the beginnings of very light feathering on the outside and inside edges of the fronts. I had the truck aligned when I bought the tires, and the rear tires aren't feathering at all. It's barely noticeable, but I'm keeping a close eye on the tires. I'm pretty easy on my truck, so I don't think it's from excessive cornering. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have noticed that the roads I drive on regularly seem to have large crowns, which means I generally have to hold the wheel slightly on the left or right to go straight, depending on which side of the road I'm on.

If you have the factory shocks. That is part of the problem, too soft. Also some of the gen 1 tracs need the camber kit for a good a alignment.

Inside and outside wear may be caused from underinflation.

Poor alignment will usually cause wear on one side or the other, not both. Shock problems usually cause cupping rather than feathering.

I'd try a couple more psi, and rotate at about 3,000 miles.

I agree with rmac, wear on the inside and outside edges indicates underinflation. Remember, most tire shops only inflate the tires to the minimum pressure so you get a nice comfy ride because they want you to be happy with your tires when you drive off, and for the first month or so...then you are stuck with them.

...Rich

run your tires at max psi. i do it on all four tires. no probs. also replace factory shocks no matter how used they are.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've kept the tires at factory recommended pressures, but I'll bump it up a bit. I've got reflex's all around, so the shocks shouldn't be an issue.

I just looked at a "how to read tire wear" website, and it looks like the problem is slight cupping, not feathering. Are there any suspension components that I should look at? Shocks are reflex's and it's got good sway bar links. The tires doesn't feel loose at all.

Cupping is cause by 3 things or a combination of these things, weak shocks, tire rotation or tire imbalance. Being that you have only 2000 miles on these tires you can count out rotation. I see you have replaced your shocks but just because they are new doesn't mean they are good. Are you sure they aren't leaking? Another thing is are you sure that you have cupping?? When the tire starts to "cup" you will be able to run your hand along the tire tread and feel high and low spots, this usually happens to the whole tire and not just on the edges. Are you sure what youare seeing isn't just normal edge wear on the fronts? You have to remember that tires on the front will not be perfectly flat across the tread like the rears are becaues the front tires turn.

While it is best to inflate your tires to what the car mfg suggests a little more air won't hurt, I run the tires at 40 psi on mine. I don't recommend inflating your tires to the max inflation pressure that is on the sidewall of the tire. This is there only to tell you that you should not put any more air thatn that in it, loss of ride comfort and traction issues can result.

Thanks. I do have an extra set of reflexes, it wouldn't hurt to put them on. I don't think there is anything wrong with them, though. They're very stiff and have ride well. I can feel the high and low spots, each "lug" of tread is wearing on the back side, i believe.

It could be normal, I guess, since I've never paid attention to new tires before (first time I've bought them).

i have 253/65/18 michelen cross terains on my 07 limited...got 25000 miles out of them and and now my 2nd set are worn out at 50000...worn perfectly flat...align if perfect and pressure if set at 36 psi... wish they made them in ltx's that size....any ideas.....

Latest posts