Tires for my Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Graff

Reaction score
I bought Goodyear Wrangler tires for two sets of tire changes, but this last time I changed to General Grabber 255/70 R16 tires. The Wranglers seemed to wear a bit unevenly even when I had an allignment and road force balancing done. It would happen over time and when I took them back to Ford for reallignment and balancing, it was impossible to get the slight vibration taken out at speeds of 63 - 68 or so mph. I would notice my softdrinks with slight ripples in them as I drove along at the speeds mentioned. When I purchased the Grabbers, the vibration problems were less, but nevertheless still appeared over time. I'm ready to change all 4 tires again (204,000 miles on vehicle); any suggestions? The local Ford dealer currently has Grabbers for $608 out the door, including allignment, road balancing; also free rotation for the life of the tires.

Thats not a bad deal on the grabblers. They have been very popular with great reviews. Maybe you should consider taking that offer. With That extra money that you would save from purchasing other tires, mounting, alignment, etc. You should spend on seeing if ball joints, tie rod etc need to be replaced. It sounds like no matter with what tires you put on you still experience that vibration. Just my .02 cents

#1 the wranglers are the worst tires for the trac. Most members had lousy wear patterns and vibs. The wrangler rts tires are cheap cast wise. To me that is an indication of there qaulity.

#2 have you ever put a good after market shocks on your trac. Worn shocks can cause vibs and bad tire wear.

#3 the speed you refer to vibration can be the driveshaft. If you have the steel drive shaft. Some did not balance well. Ford solved it buy using a lighter aluminum drive shaft. You could see about getting your drive shaft rebalanced. If you do, put new u-joints on first. Or you might see if you can find an alluminum one in a salvage yard. Make sure it is not bent.

I'm in the market for tires and have been looking at the general grabbers, I WISH I could find a deal like that on them! What dealership is that? I also agree the wranglers suck, I'm looking forward to getting them off my trac

Well, I recently got General Grabber HTS's because of the great reviews on Tirerack. Unfortunately, the ones I got (or maybe just one of them) produced very noticeable vibrations after the 65mph mark. Shop could not fix the issue so I upgraded to Michellin LTX MS/2's and I haven't looked back since, well, until now.

[Broken External Image]:

hands down, best tires, unless you do extreme off-roading these are great, good mileage, last a long time, fine off road

I'm mainly interested in the smoothest ride possible and never do any off road riding. The Ford dealership was Mike Castrucci in Milford, Ohio. Trac511: What did the Michellin LTX MS/2's cost you?

Thanks to all!

What did the Michellin LTX MS/2's cost you?

These are what are on my wife's Tahoe. Don't remember the cost, but they are pricey. Somewhere around $1,200 I think. Very good tires, though. I don't mind paying more money for tires on a vehicle that size.

Go to Sam's Club. They have the same tires for about $600 a set.

No way! :banghead:

I worked there while putting myself through undergrad. I don't trust the guys they had working there but I can't remember if they just sell the tires without install...

Got rid of the Wrangler RTS (2nd set) at 30K miles... Dealer replaced first set at 10K miles because I had proof from Sams Club I had rotated them at 5K miles after I bought truck & they still had cupped by 10K miles. When 2nd set wore unevenly I went straight to Sears first & replaced all the shocks, then went to Costco & got Michelin LTX mud and Snow , then went back to Sears & got Front end alignment. . This truck is different if you look under it you will note it does NOT HAVE Front Coil springs!!! It relies on unique set up including shocks to keep wheels in line.

(have 2004 Sport Trac) The F150 has Front Coil springs... my old Explorer 1st and 2nd Gen 4door that my wife drives has front coil springs.. To make this explorer cheaper Ford eliminated some things... like grease spouts for you to Lube the front chassis and front coil springs & they eliminated a gear in the tranny which used to be on the 1st Generation explorer.

Rotate my Tires religiously at Costco every 10K miles and now at 91K miles and no tire issues.

Live in Country down gravel road & go off road to bow hunt October thru December. These tires handle Xtremely well in Snow, Mud or wet pavement. javascript:insertAtCursor(document.forms['MESSAGEFORM'].MESSAGE,':grin:')

The Sam's Club tires were $600 about four years ago. I remember that amount because I happened to blow two tires while visiting Texas then. I had to have a friend electronically transfer money to me and that's the amount that was required for four tires. I paid the install, balance, stems, etc. out of my pocket.

Tires have gone up a lot in just the past two years. I wonder if they're still comparable?

I paid less than $100 a tire for mine, in face, I paid about $110 each for wheels and tires, so about $450 total.

If you're asking about my center cap, it's the stock one off the teardrop wheels.