Tires 07 LTD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Beil

Reaction score
I know that this topic has been posted before but wanted to see if anyone has had any new experiences, etc.

I had previously posted on one of the tire discussions that my stock 07 LTD Michelin's were runnning good but now the last, i'd say, 3,000 miles these tires went from good to hitting the warning strip.

When looking up stock 235/65/18, there isn't much to offer, I'd say the BF Goodrich Longtrails or the Dueler's. I really like the BFG All Terrains but the only size they offer close to that is 265/65/18, and a bit higher price bracket I would have to say.

I guess my question is if you have tires mentioned above how have they been handling. I do a bit of off roading and haul 5,000-6,000 lb trailer on a regular basis, any recommendations??

BTW, got my stimulus check yesterday, that's good for new tires :eek:

Dingo and I have the Toyo Proxes ST...275/55.

I love them. Smooth and quiet. It was worth the extra money I spent on them.

I just got a message from Michelin this morning about my Cross-Terrains that are nearly worn out at 20,000 miles (below). Funny thing is my wife got over 70,000 miles on a set of Cross-Terrains on her Liberty and they still had over half their tread left when we traded it, so I don't know why my STs Cross-Terrains are so crappy.

I'm thinking the BF Goodrich Long Trail Touring tires are what I am going to replace them with. I've had the regular Long Trail T/As on several vehicles and have LOVED them. The Long Trail Touring tires look like they might be even better!

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

We apologize that you are experiencing problems with the Cross Terrain SUV

tires on your Explorer.

The Cross Terrain SUV tire has been a good tire for us. You do see

different wear on different vehicles and driving habits. We would recommend

taking your vehicle to your Ford dealer or another authorized Michelin

dealer in your area to inspect your tires. If there are questions after

your tires have been examined, have the dealer call our office at the

telephone number listed below.

The tires that come as original equipment on a new vehicle are not of a

lesser quality or construction than tires that you would buy as replacement.

Thank you for using Michelin tires.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question

answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond

to this email or call us at 1-800-847-3435 (toll free) between 8:00AM and

8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 9:00AM and 5:00PM

Eastern Time on Saturday.

Mike

Michelin North America

Consumer Care Department

PS: It's important that you get all the safety-related materials that come

with the purchase of new Michelin passenger and light truck tires. If you

did not receive a warranty book, you can download one at

michelinman.com/warranty. If you did not register your tires, please take a

moment to do so at michelinman.com/tire-registration. Registering your

tires is easy and takes just a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we're all even using the same size.

I couldn't be happier. I have more miles on them than I put on the Michelins and I have more power now. More than half of the tread is still left.

yup,

went with andy's recommendation and am very happy.

but he still responsible if i spin out and crash the next winter snow storm :lol:

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't Toyo's usually performance tires. They are runnig pretty ince on the ST? They look nice from the pics in profile but I think I am looking for more of a all terrain/cross terrain tire.

md rob,

it is your choice.

depends on where you live. the toyo's lean toward performance but if i remember they also have an "acceptable 4 season" rating. i have not had them in the northeast snow yet. by far, not an off-road tire.

less noise, smoother ride with the toy's.

Gavin;

Thanks for the leg work. I think I'm going to be in the same boat. Have 16k + miles on my '07 OEM Michelins, and it looks like I'll need to replace them at 20k or so.

It is very hard for me to believe these Michelins are the same quality/compound as the replacements that are available. My ST has never been abused, no hard cornering, no towing to speak of, no burnouts, rotated often.

They're just wearing out. :angry:

It sucks. And I specifically try to stay away from "Good-for-a-Years" because of just this.

Very interesting, I have just over 20K on my Michelins and while I doubt I will get the 65K mile they are rated at, looks like i'll get close to 40K out of them. Of the 20K miles, 1/4 was towing aprox. 5K pounds.

When I replace my tires I will probably go with the LongTrails. I want some off road capability and the wider Toyo's will more than likely reduce gas mileage.

Ken, I am baffled too. My ST has never been abused or burnouts (hard to do anyway with auto 4WD) I've heard lots of other '07 ST owners complain about quick wear on the cross terrains.

I'll have to check out the Toyos. Local availability for replacement due to road hazards, etc. is a consideration. Not sure anyone sells Toyos around here.

Latest posts