TireGate spare tire hitch mount

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this spare tire holder? It's a little over $700 (ouch) but I think it would really work (and look) great on my truck. I haven't been able to find anything else that uses the hitch and doesn't require any bracing. I've been without a spare tire for a little over a year b/c I can't figure out where to put it, so I'm thinking this is the way to go. Opinions??

Heather what size tires are you running that you can't put them underneath the ST.If you are looking for justification, the rear waag bumper guard, is several hundred dollars Just to protect the bumper. The spare tire carrier will protect the tailgate as well._Ron

Heather,

Could you not take a picture of that and maybe have someone at a local

welding shop fab one up for you a little cheaper than that?

Just an idea!:unsure:

The spare tire carrier will protect the tailgate as well

Watched a 60 minutes (I believe) show on accident damage, and the vehicles with the spare on the rear (factory mounted) suffered considerably more damage as an accident tends to drive the tire into the tailgate because they stick out further than the bumper. Of course, these were vehicles like the RAV4 and conversion vans, but that was their finding.

my dad had an old (75?) Blazer with the tire behind the rear seat, we moved it out and put it on the front push bar... looked good, but not sure what would have happened in an accident.

Why don't you just carry the original spare? Since you don't need it very often (hopefully), travelling a small distance with a different size spare shouldn't be a problem...

Heather that is a nice spare carrier... however if you have 32x11.50x15 tires (and it appears that way according to your profile).... I run the same exact size tires; Pro Comp AT's and love them. For my spare tire, I kept the stock steel 16" wheel... went to discount tire and traded them my new 255 70 16 tire for a used 265 75 16 with 80% or so of tread and I crammed that into the stock spot. It is metrically the same height (+/- .2" or so) and it is a little more narrow to fit in the stock spot. I have used my spare (3 years ago) for limited miles for a 2 week period till I got a tire repaired and have had no ill effects

These tires are so similar that it should not wreak havok on your gearing or limited slip, and it's a little lighter and fits in the stock spot. Hope this helps.

If you're into off-roading and have bigger tires to do that you should be able to run a full-sized spare underinflated in your spare tire holder. Maybe not the same width but the same height. Then with the air compressor you should already have on your rig it's a snap to inflate it.

However, I do like the look of that thing, and if I had known about it back when I had my Ranger I would have bought one.

Latest posts