Tire Suggestions???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia Snyder

Reaction score
I'm needing my 3rd set of tires in the three years that I have owned my 07 trac. I had the ones that came with the truck, Goodyear Fortera. Then 31,000 miles later I had to get a new set and went with Goodyear Wrangler rt/s. 33,000 miles later I'm looking for another set...preferably ones that will last more than 30,000. I rotate every 6,000, so Im not sure whats up. Maybe its the Goodyear. Never had a problem with them on other vehicles so I don't know. Any suggestions on a good riding tire that lasts???

FYI -- LTX M/S are discontinued, and the LTX2's are not available in 18". I've been looking for new tires the past 2 weeks.

Realy stinks because these are the ones I really wanted. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Local availability may vary. A vast selection of Michelin LTX M/S2 and A/T2 sizes at TireRack.com

Convinced the Michelin LTX M/S and M/S 2 are the overwhelming favorite of most ST owners.

Looking at their treadwear claims over 50K, speaks volumes. Great testimonials, indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only driven my 2004 Sport Trac 40,000 in 5 1/2 years. But I did recently get Michelin LTX M/S Tires last spring.:grin:

Thanks so much for the input! From where i have been asking around, I have been hearing most answers for the michelins. Turns out thats what my mom has on her explorer and says they are the best tire she's ever bought! Hopefully I can find a set!

Goodyear Forteras and RT/S's both suck. I've had both on different trucks. Both wore out real fast and the Forteras were terrible in snow.

If you want long-lasting then I'd go with Michelins or BFG A/T's if they're made in your size.

I went with new wheels and tires when I got rid of the crap Michelins at 28K miles. I got a set of Boss 335 wheels, 20 x 8.5 and a set of Toyo ST2 tires. At 16K miles on this setup, the tire wear is slight, Much less than at the same mileage with the Michelins.

I really like the Toyo ST2 tire. Good looks, good wear and probably the best wet weather tire I have seen, improtant here in Houston.

I prefer the BFG T/As. I had them on my '94 Explorer and never had a problem with them. I was glad to get rid of the Goodyear's on my '05 ST and put the BFGs on there instead, and I convinced work to let me put them on the '02 Ranger company vehicle I drive when that truck was due for new tires.

I also think the BFG's have a good 'truckish' look to them.

[Broken External Image]:

What's the problem with cross terrains? I have them on mine, much better than the crapyears. Not the best in snow, but we've had a lot this winter and I haven't gotten stuck. Ride is OK, too.

I had the BFGoodrich and liked them a lot. They looked great too. But something about they had a harder rubber than what i had and my bent rim wasnt going well together. Even at 40mph I was shakin and thumpin. Thats how i ended up with the last set of goodyear. Anyway, got new tires this weekend. I went the Michelin LTX M/S2. I have heard people say they are at 100,000 miles with the old version and still have life. Hopefully I wont have a crappy set. I went from 245 to 255/65R17 and just that little bit makes them look like they fill out the fender well so much. They look great. More rugged than i thought they would but thats what i wanted. you couldnt have smacked the smile off my face when i drove off. No more road noise and feels like im riding on air.

I put a set of Continental CrossContact LX 245/65 R17's on my '05 ST. They were a recommended buy from Consumers Reports. I am very happy with them and considering the winter we are having in the Northeast, these tires have performed very well. They also have a nice italic OWL.

Latest posts