Tire Sipping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayson Vagenas

Reaction score
I just got a new set of Toyo Open Country MT from Les Schwab and they offered to sippin my tires. has any one had this done or should i do it , it will only cost me about 12 a tire. oh yeah these tire are great, i went from Xterrians to the toyo's and they are so much quieter and smoother.

thanks to all

jayson

Don't know where you live, but it is a world of difference in the snow and rain - I'd do it again if there was still a place close by that did tire siping. Much better resistance to spinning a tire on wet pavement. World of difference, I got 60K miles out of 40,000 mile rated bfg's, so it doesn't shorten tire life at all.

--Bob

Tire Sipping: First get a large straw, then place the straw against the tire and....:D

Tire Siping is the process of cutting small slits, or grooves, into the tread blocks of tires in order to provide better traction in adverse weather conditions. The sipes allow the tread blocks to spread on contact with the ground, which helps expel water from the tread and provides better bite.

I have had my OEM Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires siped a few years ago at Discount Tire.

They charged only $10 per tire and it makes a big difference in cornering and stopping on wet pavement.

As most of you know, the Goodyear wranglers that come on the Sport Trac from the factory have terrible wet weather traction. The main reason is the hard tire compounds and the large tread blocks that do not offer much traction. When the tires are siped, it divides the large tread blocks into much smaller tread segments that are free to bend and grip the pavement. These smaller blocks of tread are more flexible and provide much better traction on wet or dry pavement.

There are also reports that siped tires last longer than tires that are not siped, but I cannot say if that is true or not, but the improvement in wet weather traction is very noticeable.

nobleman,

Yes, nearly all tires come siped but some tires have too few sipes, or the sipes are too shallow and wearout in a few thousand miles. The sipes that I had put in my tire are cut in 4-5 rows across the full tread of the tire, as deep as the tread, and each cut is only about 1/8" apart on a slight diagonal angle from perpendicular to the existing tread pattern That makes for thousands of gripping edges to really wrap around the texture in the pavement and give a good grip.

As for having any set of tires siped, that would depend upon how good of traction they have especially on wet pavement. If you have "A" traction rated tires, the probably won't need to be siped, although siping may give even better wet pavement traction. If you have "B" traction rated tires, you will definetly benefit from having them siped.

In either case, you can always try the tires and see how they perform in wet weather. If the traction starts to deteriorate as the tires reach 10K miles or so, you can still have them siped to restore the wet weather traction.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for siping. I had that exact tire on my toyota and had them siped at Les Schwab. Was very pleased with the performance and now do it to all the tires I buy. Even the mud terrains I got on there now.

This from the web...

Horizontal Sipping (pronounced syping, like typing)

No one sounded sillier to me when I was in the tire business than when they asked for good sipping (when pronounced like sipping a cup). Anyway, as the tread rolls forward the tread blocks tend to squirm back and forth the small cuts in each tread block are sipes. They create another biting surface when the tread squirms and assist in the evacuation of water. To prevent side to side squirm, Michelin engineered the sipping into a wavy interlocking pattern, decreasing heat build-up and lateral stability

Latest posts