Tire shimmy with larger tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longracing25

Reaction score
Hello, been awhile. I tried to search for answer but , well, you know. I installed the 315/75-16 mudders on 16x10 rims after my body and suspension lift. I had them balanced of course. It has new sway bar ends and new shocks PLUS aligned . It has a shimmy/vibration i cant get rid of. Its had the alignment checked 3 times actually and just got the fairly new tires balenced again and rotated. It still has a slight shimmy. Yes pressures are correct also. I basically want to know how many if any added a steering stabilizer or something to help. Even though the bearings seem okay, im going to go ahead and replace with the best ones i can find. I know these dont have the strongest bearings or hubs. Now,...let me point out, this is my daughters street cruiser basically not off roading. People are rather stunned to find out it actually a TWO WHEEL drive. Its a pretty truck/cruiser..not an off road or bogger toy. It doesnt have the full hub like the 4x4's do, you just replace bearings(at least something is cheap on here).
Anyway,...any steering stabilizers? Oh, btw,....we JUST got it back with a beefed up rebuilt tranny.

Are you actually watching the tires spin on the balancer?? its def a balance, tire out of round, bent rim face ( Hard to find) or something in those tires.... Do you have the stock rims to put back on and test ?? rack and pinion steering stabilizers are funky and all custom for the sport trac.... nothing direct bolt on..
the tires could just be too large for the stuff to handle but its something in the rotating assemblies.... Could be bearings if they are loose but quality means nothing if they are tight, you could also have a warped rotor...

as todd mentioned a slight out of round or bent wheel will do, you mentioned you rotated so i would look at the tires,, i had same issue and it was tires, i went thru 3 sets after lifting truck, i went thru toyo mudders as the tread wear would cause out of round, sport tracs are more sensitive to the ground then other trucks, even my ranger did not have issues, that being said, try a set of stock tires if ya still have and see for yourself, that is what i did, i have had amazing results with my kumho mt i have and there so smooth.

no stock tires left. Theyre on brand new rims. Its not a "terrible" shimmy, just a little. I know part of it is waaaaay oversized tires, but she got the "big truck" look from Daddy. I suspect the front bearings. They are stock, dont know if or ever replaced. Just got it a few years ago. The LF has a a light hint of play, which is why im rebuilding those. Like i said, its bearing replace instead of full sealed hub. I was curious about stabilizers though, if any monster sport tracs added them. Any idea on who makes the best Bearing sets?

i have not tried on trac, my excursion yes and it helped after lift and tires, and hubs i have replaced, 4wd model, i hope ya get her dialed in and would be cool to here the solution if ya figure it out.. good luck.

No upgraded bearing kits available.... There was a generation that used stub axles and 4WD hubs on the 2wd..... Just a thought, but the 4wd hub bearings suck too...

i agree that 4 wd hubs were bad, i bought 3, 4 wd sport tracs from copart that were all front right hubs that broke off and damaged them, from 60 to 130 k miles, 2004 and 2005s, just the rights were bad, can not figure that one out.

Latest posts