Tire problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am totally lost as to why something is happening, excessively, with my 08 STA. Last night I am driving home and everything has been fine... the air pressure low indicator comes on and as I pull off to the side of the road I realized my tire is totally flat. I pull over and the rear drivers side tire has pretty much exploded.... these tires are not that old, we are talking a year at the most and not an excessive amount if mileage. All tires were purchased at the same time and the remaining 3 tires are perfectly fine.

The tread is REALLY worn down on the exploded tire, one area it is through the steel belt along the center/inner side of the tire tread...

Odd thing is, this is the 2nd time ive had this problem with the truck and I have no idea what would cause this... Any suggestions?!?!

I am meticulous with air pressure as well so I am not falling down on keeping that even on all tires... but for whatever reason the rear drivers tire wears excessively faster than he other 3.

Help! I'm sick of spending $2000 on tires every year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not in the center, its on the inside tread... and with the spare on there is no indication that there is any parking brake drag...

This is the rear tire? Very unusual. Are you still under any warranty? Need to get this into the shop and get it figured out. For this weird issue I would definitely go to the dealership service garage and not an independent garage. If you stand back behind the truck 20-30 feet and look at the tires can you see any difference in their position ie toe in/out?

/

Also a tire that is worn down. To no tread or no tread on any area will run hoter. Even properly inflated. Especialy non LT tires are app to explode from excess temp.

I agree with the other. You need to find a good alighnment shop. To do a 4 wheel thrust.

Also if you do any burn outs. The gen 2 has open gears. The right rear will go first.

possible broken belt inside tire possilbe this will result in over heated tires

backing to tire stops too hard or driving too hard into things knocks alignments out and causes tire contruction damage or hard pot hole hit damaged tire

then a tire rotation places tire to rear of vehicle

keep us posted on what youy find thaqnx and good luck

rod you hit the nail on the head, it was a broken belt. I have to go over train tracks all the time to get to work and this is probably the cause!

Latest posts