Tire noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 04 two wheel drive trac has slowly developed a front tire noise issue that doesn't go away when you change the tires. It tracks straight with no noticeable pull to either side but when you go to left hand curve the noise/drone totally disappears and all is good in the world. There is no indication of unusual wear in the tread of either set of tires which are different brands and patterns. Truck just hit 80,000 and the front shocks have been replaced. The noise is getting unbearable at highway speeds and is noticeable at speeds as low as 15 to 20 mph and seem to subside when you hit the brakes. Anybody have any suggestions on what to check before I jack up the front end this weekend?

If you have the OEM wrangler rt/s tires. Get rid of them. Most likly cupping on the inside. Also Have you serviced you front wheel bearings? If not they are most likly getting rough. I service 2wd front bearings @ 20K to 30K.

Sounds like bearing noise to me. Typically if the bearings start making noise then they need to be replaced becasue it is the bearing eating into the bearing race that casues the noise.

The Bridgestone REVO's I had on my old Trac got noisier as they wore down. That said, I'd check the wheel bearings first.

Latest posts