Tire mounting question.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Well i will be getting my new wheels next week and they are the same 15x7 size as my factory trac wheels so i can use my same bfgoodrich 235/75/15 tires. Right now the blakc walls are mounted facing out and the white lettering is on the inside, the thing i need to know is can i have the tires put on the new wheels the opposite way with the white lettering on the outside and black walls on the inside now?? These tires have about 12k on them, and would it hurt them at all? I want these tires to last about another 40k so i dont wanna mess the wear pattern up if that will happen by mounting them differently.

Thanks

Andy

if you do that put them on the opposite side so you do not change the direction of rotation and you should be ok.:)

Like my grandmother in her support hose, I stand corrected :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
when you rotate the tires you change the direction the tire spins.. i always go rear to front then criss cross the fronts to the back.. so there shouldn't be a problem no matter what way they turn after the rim change.

troy

Early radial tires did not allow changing the direction of rotation, so you could only mount the tires on the front and back on the same side of the vehicle. That all changed about 25-30 years ago and radials can and are rotated in several different patterns that will change the direction of rotation at least every other rotation cycle.

There are some special performance wet weather tires that have directional treads that can only be mounted one way and cannot be swapped from side to side unless the tires are removed from the rims and flipped over.

There is no problem rotating your tires or switching the white lettering to the inside or outside when every you wish.

...Rich

Latest posts