TIre cupping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Durst

Reaction score
Has anyone that have "modified" the S/T suspension noticed that the "typical" S/T tire cupping problem is/has not happened to your tires? If so, how many miles do you have on your tires since the suspension system mods were done?

My 05 front GY RT/S tires showed signs of cupping @ approx 5K miles. I ran them until 10K and they were definatley undoubtly cupping. I removed the OEM shocks and rotated the front to the back @ that point and as far as I can tell, the tires are "evened out" and appearing as normal @ 24K miles.

Dave S.

Edited to say...

@ approximately 20K miles, I added the EE rear swaybar. Although it helped out the rear end, I don't believe it had had anything to do with the corretion to my front tire cupping problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave: From what I gather from your post you still are running the OEM GY tires and at this time have about 24K on them. You installed new shocks at what mileage? What shocks? Did you START rotating your tires at 10k? Have you rotated the tires since and if so how often?

Could yould please check your tires (I assume the front ones now are the original rears if you havent rotated them from the 10k time) and see if there is ANY sign of cupping?

Im trying to gather info about this problem. Perhaps we can come up with a fix or a better understanding. Ford and the tire companies wont help us.

Thanks,

Lester

Lester