tire chains ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Clary

Reaction score
Hello again, since I got a great response from my last post I would like to ask another question. I'll be driving back to Washington State the first part of January from Arizona. The wife says we need to get tire chains. She may be right and thats the problem....I am willing but what should I buy? I am scared about them breaking and damageing our beautiful Sportrac. So should I get regular chains, cable chains or what? I have read some reviews and am unsure about brand, quality and price. Should I chain up all 4 wheels (I know there are varibles) or just just two? so what do you think? I am convinced if I have them I won't need them but if I don't have them I'll definitly need them. What do you think? Thanks, Dave

My 2001 owners manual specifies chains should be used on rear wheels only, and with a maximum speed of 30 mph.

It also says:

Ford offers tire cables as a Ford approved accessory and recommends use of these or SAE class S.

Hey Bob, yeah, check with Ford to see about those cable-type chains. They are less prone to noise(especially on dry sections), are easier to put on and work just as well as chains. Plus you'll be able to go at normal speeds with the cable type. You'll have to check with state requirements to see if the use of regular chains are permitted(they chew up the road). And yes, the back wheels only. Google tire chains and look for the cable ones. good luck, Bob

Dave, Having driven between Seattle and El Paso both ways several times in January it is best to have chains. Worst case is on I-5 in the Lake Shasta area to Eugene Oregon. Last time we were south bound and we went out to the coast and took Highway 101 to San Francisco to avoid the snow which added about 9 hours to our trip but was definitely safer. JJ

I have some goodyear long trails on my ST (04 4x4) and have to say the cold traction in snow or ice is not anything to brag about and definitely something to be respectful of. That said, I latched onto a couple sets of the Laclede 3010-wbtc cable chains and was wondering if anyone here has used them. They are ladder type, heavier than normal gauge cable it seems too.

Heres a good one, I know it was 104 here today and I'm buying cable chains?:smack:

I read that they are supposed to only be on the rear so won't really need the second set. make someone a good deal here before I move them to ebay in a few months. Anyone with experience on these things let me know.

Latest posts