Tips For Buying a ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Kropf

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy a sport trac and i have looked at a few, i was wondering is anybody can give me any tips for buying, is there anything i should look for as far as a potential problem goes or anything else i should be aware of...any help would be appreciated.;)

Used, the one im looking at has 92000 miles on it, 4x4...i have an 04 f-150 fx4...compared to that it seems really sloppy as far as the suspension goes, and the steering wheel was shaking slightly when driving, also when i was test driving it i kept hearing a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming out of the driver side front wheel area...i don't know what that was

The sloppy suspension is most likly due for ball joints and tie rod ends and shocks. Since it is a 4x4 the clicking maybe a front hub bearing. Get a independent mechanic to look it over.

I think you are paying way too much for an 01 with that kind of mileage and problems that you have mentioned. I have owned three ST's, an 02, 05, and my new 08. THE 02 is still on the road with 110,000 and runs like new due to upgrades along the way along with religious-like maintenance. I traded in my 04 F-15O Lariat on the 08 to improve MPG and am happy so far. Still wish I had the 150 for those sometimes need for a larger bed and heated seats. I do not think you will be happy with the used 01. Try to find a lower mileage 02 or better. Even consider finding a used 07. My local Ford dealer recently had two 05 ST's on the lot for 14,000 to 16,500 including a 100,000 mile power train warranty. One of them was mine ( 31,000 miles) as a trade in on a new Edge. ST's are great vehicles. Just buy the most recent year and lowest mileage that you can afford. Just my 2 cents. If you go with the 01 be sure to get at least a 1000 mile power train warranty and get it up on the dealer lift to look at the underside as some problems may just be visible. As you probably do not have a service history on the '01 a look underneath is key here. Good luck.

my wife and i are buying a new house, my goal here is to free up some funds for remodel on the house and this truck is half the price of my current one however i still need a truck and i need 4x4 so this is the best candidate i found so far to downgrade to

Aftermarket shocks and an upgraded rear sway bar are on of the first things that should be on your list. My guess is that the front wheel bearings are gone, thats probably the culprit of the clicking.

hope that helps.

Kinda off-topic, but I have a friend with an '03 Ram with the Hemi. It's got 61k miles on it. He's looking for 10,500.

just figured i'd let you know i have an '04 sport trac with 144000 miles on it and everything is in great condition there is absolutely nothing wrong with the interior and there is a small ding on the driver side door but nothin real big for $8,000 if your interested

Do a search and you'll find all sorts of topics to be alert for.

My 02 4x4 has 113k miles on it and I love it. I just got done putting new hubs on it tonight.

I think you'd better off trying to get them to 6000 or 7000 for that one with 90k miles. It's probably got a hub (bearing) going bad. How much of a mechanic are you?

It's an '01 so it might be Job 1 or not. Later is better.

Tranny problems may or may not be an issue.

Ball joints are sealed, so they can't be lubed periodically.

It definately needs a bearing or half shaft.

You'll definately want to replace the shocks.

edit: did you look in the Swap and Sell? A member has one listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pass on that one...

sounds like the original owner didnt take much care of it...

but if thats what u want, try to get like an 05 or something around there...

they still arent that expensive

If you can't find one on this site, look on autotrader i've always had good luck there. Btw, my 01 has 140k and is running great. If you talk them down a little, 90k doesn't sound bad at all to me. Throw $6500 as your first offer maybe.

Latest posts