tiny lift support in bed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
In the forward bed compartment, there is a small lift support I guess to hold the door open while loading. Part num is 7A24 99286D18 AB It doesnt hold it open so I called dealer to get a new one. $225!! Looked at autozone for a comparable one- no luck. For that amount , it wont get fixed. I will rarely be in that compartment anyway.

i got mine replaced under the full 3/36 warranty.. if you still have that try it? it's a custom ordered part, and it took over a week for the dealer to get it in from the supplier. The replacement part was identical to the failed original, so I'm sure the new one will fail soon too, so probably not worth the hassle of even going with warranty honestly..

Try Auto Zone or NAPA. They have a large selection of struts and can order one if they don't have it in the store. Also our site sponsor Ford Parts Fast may have it for less than the dealer price.

Tried Autozone with no luck and fast parts has it for $180 something

I'm looking into replacing mine. I've had some good luck with Rock Auto.com. If you can get a part number from an aftermarket manufacturer, Rock Auto should be able to get it for you. I'll let you know what I come up with.

The part you need is a 7.5" gas spring with a 2" stroke and about 30 lbs. of force. Columbia Struts sells these as part number CS750-30 for about $10, and you can also find them listed on eBay. (Search for "gas spring 7.5 30")

I'm guessing at the 30 lbs. force because I bought the 20 lb. version and it fit ok but didn't quite have enough force to pop the compartment door open all the way. This size is available in 10, 20, 30, and 40 lb. versions (the last 2 digits of the Columbia part number indicates the force), but for safety reasons you want the minimum force required to get the job done.

I went through the same drill with my 07 Gen2. Had dealer service dept jump through a bunch of hoops trying to find a replacement - and then that one worked the same as the original. Know what? I found that it didn't matter; I used that compartment so infrequently that it was no consequence whatsoever. I find the same to be true for my 08 STA; I'm in and out of that compartment once or twice a week, and quickly. Baddabing, baddaboom.