Timing Chains/High Mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wilson

Reaction score
Hey, all! Long time no post.Thought I'd give some feedback since I'm gonna ask a question. Got 112,787 miles on a 2005. Bought her new, and well maintained. In and out, top to bottom. I'm a certified mechanic with some measure of OCD. So, she's been well maintained, but driven. Not a problem so far, either drivetrain or electrical. I'm getting a little concerened with this timing chain issue I've been hearing about. No matter how much you change the oil, or keep the RPM's under 4,000, they're gonna break or stretch to the point your motor wont run but about 150-200,000 miles before it gets the "death rattle" and quits. And my understanding, this isn'nt and old Chevy or Ford small block timing chain job. I've heard it requires pulling the motor, and requires a complete rebuild to do it properly. Experiences, please?!?!

:eek:nline:

I believe many members have replaced the cassettes and tensoners. Even with a small rattle on cold startup. Have close to 300K on their tracs.

So I wouldnt call it a death rattle.

If you replace the chains it does require pulling the motor, and the right chain alighnment tools.

I wouldnt worry if it is not rattling. The chains dont break or stretch. the Hydralic tensoners wear out.

Intimidating to say the least. :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some memebers that live in hotter climates. Have used 10w-30 or 10w-40 oil on higher milage motors. That were rattling.

The tensioners are known to fail and that is an easy fix but the real problems start when a guide breaks. Don't stress over it, nothing you can do is going to make a difference of wether it happens or not. Easy enough job to replace everything especially if you are a mechanic but the engine does have to come out and you do need the timing tools....NO WAY AROUND IT. I used to do one of these every few months it seemed like but the last one was probably about a year ago on a ST that had blown head gaskets that I picked up for a good price and flipped for a nice profit

Latest posts