thumping under driverside floor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Leary

Reaction score
I have a thump I can feel through the floor boards. It speeds up when i accelerate. Seems to be worse when turning or in curves, sometimes not noticeable. My first thought is it's related to the body mount bushings that need replaced (I have the center 8 deteriorated and have been waiting for warm weather to fix).

Does that sound like a symptom of the bushing issue? or maybe a ball joint issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the front end shimmy a little too. Sometimes the belts in the tires slip and can cause sounds like that but I beleive that the shimmying usually accompanies that.

Not much shimmying, but I get some good vibration up around 50-60 mph, then it evens out higher than that. The tires look visibly good everywhere. I have no idea when it last had a rotation, balance, or alignment (im a new ST owner for a month or so now). Should I maybe start with tire maintenance first?

I would agree with a drive shaft issue they usually occur at that speed and also can be felt in the seat of the pants. Do you still feel it if you shift into neutral?

The first few yrs tracs had steel drive shafts. Some of those cause vibe problems. The fix was ford went to aluminum drive shafts.

I was just going to ask that very same question about the drive shaft. Had mine up on the lift the other day and I noticed it was an aluminum shaft. I just couldn't remember which one you guys said was bad, the steel or aluminum. Glad I got the right one! :grin:

I will get it out on the highway this weekend and shift to neutral when i can feel the thumps to see if it stops. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed Bambi, but not his rabbit friend??? Sorry, I had to...

I would agree with the driveshaft, EXCEPT, it shouldn't make a difference in curves if it was the driveshaft. Is you ST a 4WD model? If so, I might suspect a Hub bearing. Just my .02

2wd.

thumping continued when vehicle was moving by in neutral. might be tire related after all? I will get it to my local guy soon so he can lift it and take a look.

thanks all.