Thule Gate Mate/Dakine Pickup Pad/Yakima Crashpad - Will they fit?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Hedrick

Reaction score
Hello all. Been a reeaaaaally long time since I posted here... but I'm in dire need of some bicycle hauling help. Due to my various requirements for a bike rack for the ol' ST, my only real option at this point is a tailgate pad, like the Thule Gate Mate, Dakine Pickup Pad, or Yakima Crashpad. My only concern is that all of these have a "smaller" version for compact pickups that come in at 54" wide. Measuring my tailgate area, I see that I've got just about 51", and that's being generous. Curious if anyone has used any of these products and know if they are OK despite the overlap, or if there are any other possibilities for tailgate pads (besides making my own... blech).

Thanks!

P.S. If you're interested in knowing why I believe a tailgate pad is my only option:

- I don't have a receiver hitch, and the cost of a hitch + installation + bike rack is way over my budget for this.

- I have roof rails, but no crossbars, so again, more cost for basic parts + the bike rack itself.

- I am in no way mechanically inclined, so fashioning my own rack for the top of the tonneau cover, as I've seen on this site, is out of the question.

- The wife's bike has solid axles, so removing the front wheel is a pain in the ass. If I bought a conversion kit to make them quick release, it would open up maybe 1 or 2 more options, but they're still considerably more expensive than the tailgate pads.

- I just spent a boatload of money on a new bike at a local shop, and can get 25% off of accessories for the next few weeks. They happen to carry 2 of the 3 tailgate pads above.

If you are ok with having the tail gate down you will have more options. I have a bed extender and with it flipped out my bike fits fine with the front wheel off and the fork clamped in a bed mount. It's a big wheel bike too (29er).

33c5b769facdf29ac2c4dc3047a8c164.jpg

another option i have used is the Thule Instagater. I modified the front of my bed by cutting a few slots near the front for the mounting straps, and set it up to mount in the front of the bed. with a 26" wheeled bike you will be able to haul it with the front wheel on and a bed extender flipped out. worked great for my 26" bike in my gen 1 trac. didnt work with my gen2 due to the bed storage compartment.

If you don't want to have the tailgate down, your best bet is a tailgate pad. the small size wil be fine, I have used a dakine in my gen 1, worked fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike. For my bike, something like that would be fine, because I have quick release axles and I'm ok with the tailgate being down. My wife's bike, however, has solid axles and I don't know if I trust those conversion kits. Thanks for the info on the pad, though. I guess I can always get one and return it if for some reason it doesn't fit.

as mike said, bikes with 26" tires should fit fine in a Gen 1 trac bed with a bed extender.

no mounting necessary.

I've gone a couple different routes with regards to mounting my bikes to the truck.

1) I just rested them in the bed with the extender down, but I have an aftermarket tonneau cover that I need to have on the truck all year round now, so that option is out.

2) I attached 3 Yakima mounts (similar to the one pictured above) to the front of the bed and had the bikes' forks attached to those with the back tires resting on the top of the tailgate (while closed). While this set-up looked the most bad-ass, I didn't like it because the fork mounts kept loosening up and the bikes were wobbling back and forth

[Broken External Image]:

3) Since I have a trailer hitch installed, I went ahead and bought a bike rack. This is by FAR the best option, IMO. Understandably, it is over-budget for you.

However, if you feel like you might have the chance in the future to go this route, I'd say spare your $ on mounting solutions now and start saving up.

I love knowing that my bikes are secure, safe, locked up AND having the entire truck bed for camping gear, coolers, biking gear, etc.

just my 2 cents :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the Dakine tailgate pad in the past. not on the ST but on a Chevy. I like these pads for their simplicity and convenience. Seeing how your wives bike is a solid axle and nuts, that would probably be your best bet. best thing about these pads is you just throw the forks over the tailgate and off you go. you can still lock the bikes in back if you need. 25% off one is a GOOD deal, go for it. you can make those things fit too.

The Dakine pad is prob the best investment you could make for hauling bikes. I regularly haul a few all-mountain and downhill bikes on 5-8 hours trips using my ST. I also never take the thing off and it holds up excellent to weather/sun/etc.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts