Throaty, Deep Exhaust: 2006 WRX Limited

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
I tried searching first but I’m not finding the posts I want to see. Unless Loud is indeed what I’m looking for. When I think Loud I think ricer Civic poser so….anyway…

The Issue:

My Fiancé loves her 2006 WRX Limited. She has a great aftermarket audio system in it. She’s a bit of a SQ fanatic with a touch of bass freak and this is a problem!

Ever since I’ve upgraded my truck’s exhaust system she has developed an ear for the throaty, deep rumble from a V8. A few months ago she about jumped through her moonroof when we drove up next to a 06 or 07 WRX with an aftermarket exhaust that sounded exactly like a V8.

It clearly wasn’t a weed whacker, rice rocket exhaust. It was perfect for her. It gives her a little more bite when on the gas and is still mellow enough for her to enjoy all the facets of her audio system.

From a performance stand point, her car is currently bone stock. I’m not looking to build an entire exhaust system. Nothing extreme. I’d really like to not spend the money on a cat-back system when all she really wants is the sound. However, I’m not in support of hindering the flow just to make the sound. She would kill me if I tried to stick any “poser” trash on her baby. I couldn’t live with myself either!

The Questions:

Would any of you have input regarding the type of sound we are looking for and what product will get us there?

Would I need to remove the stock resonator with any given muffler to get the sound I want? On my truck I tried it without removing the resonator and there wasn't any difference in tone at all. When I removed it there was a night and day difference.

The Budget:

Budget: $200 (max)

I suspect it was a complete tuner exhaust from the motor back. Headers included. I have heard a few good ones. They werent peiced together systems though. Im sure to get the sound you want its going to cost some big $$. I cant recomend any though..

a few ppl i chill with have a wrx with exhaust systems... one sounds really good... one sounds like.... a fart can

the good one sounds so beasty... i wont see him till sunday but ill try and call him when i get home to ask which system he has.

So far my research indicates the invidia is a ricer super crackly ultra loud exhaust. However, it's the number one cat back system out there as far as popularity.

People that want a deeper sound seem to be going with Borla, Magnaflow, Cobb and a few others that I can't recall at the moment.

nope, hes got nothing but the cat back system...

ill try to get a sound clip this weekend bro

hopefully he will show up at the party and we will go from there.

ill ask the other wrx what exhaust hes running

here u go buddy, this is what his sounds like....

i like it.... sounds sooo much better that the 240s and the srt4s... :wacko:

Reaper,

Thanks man! My internet is down at home and my work comp doesn't have speakers lol. I tried to hook up a WIFI router and now my computer can't see my Modem. Really freaking annoying. It's been over week since I've been able to get online at home :(

Clay,

It was a WRX not an STI. He had black aftermarket rims, wing delete and the exhaust. No STI emblems. They were not shaved because it still had the WRX badging.

I got my internet fixed last night and I listened to a TON of clips from various forums. I'll check this one out over the weekend and pick one later.

Turns out the 2006 WRX exhaust is different then the previous years and I believe the 07. Instead of having a two section downpipe with cats on each section. It has one pipe with two cats. So if I install a downpipe I'd lose both cats (TBE) and in NYS...you can't run without cats on this age vehicle. The other problem I run into with a TBE (only downpipe option for 06 rex) is that I'd also have to spend another $3-400 on a custom engine managment tune.

So my only street legal options are to either do a Cat-back system (CBE) or an Axleback system (ABE) with a custom resonator delete pipe (lower cost). If I made a custom pipe I'd have to cut the original, where the resonator is, and weld in a section to replace it.

Most everyone does the cat back system. It's basically a DYI project. I may give it a shot. The only problem is that the CBE systems are crazy expensive! Like $500+.

Last edited by a moderator: