Three Subs Possible?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out any way possible to cram 3 JL Audio 10w3 v3 subs behind the seats. I've seen an option on this forum to do 2 so would 3 be possible? I know I'll have to remove the plastics and everything else from behind the seats and I'm good with that. The mounting depth for these is 5.93" for the w3 series (preferred) and 4.75" for the w1 series. I've had great personal experience with JL's and have an opportunity to get a smokin deal on a set right now is why I'm stuck with this combination. Also having a friend that does fiberglass work is a plus. I don't want to split the seats as that's too big of a project for me right now.

Anyone know the distance from the back of the seats to bare metal at the back of the cab? Thats the limiting factor at this point.

Anyone with any options, ideas, or help please chime in either here or email to [email protected]

Thanks a lot in advance!

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
W1's will fit, but I don't see any way even with fiberglass to get the W3's to fit.

You can fit 3, however you are cutting the airspace down so much for each sub that it will have a very peaky sound. JL recommends .625 cubic feet per sub, my dual 10 box is approx 1 cubic foot. You can extend the box to go past the rear window motor and get the extra space there, but I highly doubt you can get another cubic foot which is what it would take to get that 3rd sub in and sound right.

I have 4 8"JL subs (not sure what kind), behind my seats. I took it down to metal, and then had it built in. Only negative is that the motor for the rear window won't work, so it is stuck in the up position.

To tell you the truth, splitting the seats isnt much more of a project then glassing the back to fit 3 subs. I just got my seats done, and it took me about an hr to take the seat apart, cut it to size, re-weld it, and mod the seatbelt buckles. Then I had an upholsterer cut the fabric down to size and cut the foam for $80. Im getting ready to glass a new console from the back bulkhead all the way to the front. Ill have so much room in the back that ill be able to run two of the pioneer premiere series. Im going to use the back behind the seats for the amps. You should really look into it. Its easier, and different. Ill post some pics for you later on this week. You should also take a look at the fatmat website. I just ordered 100sq ft of that stuff for $129 shipped. Since youll have the seats in the back out, you might as well take two more out and sound deaden the cab for a much better sound!!

brock... do you have pics of your interior light change? i recall you doing the switches and all... how did it turn out. (sorry to highjack this thread)

LOL No, I never took pics. Im sorry guys. Ill take some tonight and post them. They turned out great. I have to re-solder two lights in the drivers side controls but other then that id say it was well worth the $2. HAHAHAHA

Latest posts