Thoughts on removing running boards

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargedtrac

Reaction score
Since I almost did a no no with tinting my fog lights recently, I thought I'd ask the group before diving into my next mod. :smile0017:

Has anyone removed their running boards? Pros or cons?

I just came back from a drive on snowy slushy roads after an overnight snowfall. Front of the running board step started a slush collection. :smile0003:

I'll probably go for mud flaps which should solve most of that. :smile0014:

Removing the running boards looks like it might be a little unsightly with brake lines\cables running on the outside of the frame rail. I seem to also rub the back of my leg on the running board, when I get out of the truck. The wife might have the final say depending on if she uses the running board to step up into or out of the truck. :smile0005:

Too bad they didn't make a lower panel or valence that didn't stick out, that would cover the brake lines. I guess there's always some black paint or undercoating so they aren't as noticeable if I were to take the boards off.

I removed mine. They just got my pants dirty. I like the look much better also.

[Broken External Image]:

I don't think there is anything to have to hide if you take off the boards. All brake line are tucked up next to the frame and should be out of sight. After all, they wouldn't want to have to run different lines on the Trac depending on if it was built at the factory with, or without, the boards.

:smile0006:

First thing I did was remove the roof racks. More streamlined, IMO.

XLS doesn't come with running boards, they would have been first.

Lowered the Trac 3 inches. Next will be rims like Eddie's Enkei RT-6 wheels, and new Michelin's.

Bought used, with pitiful Goodyear Wrangler ST "rubberbands". (NOTHING WORSE)

Think I want to color match the cladding, like Eddie's, as well. Very nice, IMO.

Of the many MySt members, he has a keen sense of "classic" styling. (Excellent, bro)

Anyone have pics of a Gen 2 without running boards? ('07-'10)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, I agree on the roof rails also. If you dont need them remove them. Steamline, yes!!

Uncle Bob, the gen 2 STs are very exposed. Without running boards you can easily see the frame rails with the brake lines attached.

Steve, I ordered mine without running boards and added a different style since I didn't care for the factory types. But to be sure, check with the wife.

Steve, thanks for the compliment. I think they will look good on white. Get the 18" with 0 offset. Perfect fit.

Took mine off after I was off-roading, went over an ATV mogul, and bent the one side into the cladding (no damage to the cladding). Haven't looked back since. :)

The Gen 1's look real good without them. Fast Eddie & swshawaii - thanks for the pics. :smile0011:

Dingo - you saved me on the fog light tint and I think the Gen2 'without look' won't be good just peering through the boards right now. I'm not adept at retrofitting and don't want to do a cob job. :smile0008:

I already tried the roof rack removal (on and off several times), but could not find anything suitable to screw into or cover the 4 mount holes on the roof, like a nice low profile black rubber plug or grommet that would easily silicone adhesive seal well. The black paint on two spots of the outside roof rails are starting to fade. If anyone has a non-invasive solution for covering the mounting holes of the roof rails - please let me know.

Thanks so far guys. :smile0006:

Joe

I removed mine because of rust.

The pro are

a cleaner look

It has a more pronounced 4x4 stance

I don't have to deal with them rusting or the plastic parts getting dirty

The Cons are

My wife complains that she has trouble getting in.

In any case, a picture is worth a thousand words

Before

[Broken External Image]:

After

[Broken External Image]:

You decide!

i have a stepside ranger(and the ST)and they have fiberglass bed rails that are held on by some hex head bolts with plastic caps that snap on them. They happen to be the same size as the roof rack bolts but are more low profile. I went to the junkyard and got a handful of them with the caps and just screwed them in and got a little can of touch up paint that matched from o'reilys and painted them. They are not completely unnoticable but clean looking and the roof racks can be put back on in a matter of minutes. i could get some pics if it would help just let me know.

re: Thoughts on removing running boards by bill barberMember Profile,1/2/2010 16:12 ET

he has a gen 2, as dingo says they look awful without them, the entire framerail is exposed.

Gen 2...

Oh....Nevermind!

d415860f78083b19ca18482348d6d5cb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a stepside ranger(and the ST)and they have fiberglass bed rails that are held on by some hex head bolts with plastic caps that snap on them. They happen to be the same size as the roof rack bolts but are more low profile. I went to the junkyard and got a handful of them with the caps and just screwed them in and got a little can of touch up paint that matched from o'reilys and painted them. They are not completely unnoticable but clean looking and the roof racks can be put back on in a matter of minutes. i could get some pics if it would help just let me know.

:worthless:

Hey I actually got to use this legitimately!:smile0015:

RC, pictures please!

Cabrera - thanks for the pics. Man that look would be nice on my Gen 2, but don't think it will be.

RC - if possible a couple pics would be great, thanks.

Joe, check Fast Eddie's library, he has a picture of his roof with the rails removed and the plugs he used.

Latest posts