those with Pirelli Scorpions - winter driving

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Martin

Reaction score

Having getting slammed with snow and ice here in Alberta...Wondering how fellow STA drivers are finding their stock tires. Personally, overall performance seems to be ok - on glare ice however, these tires seem to have no grip whatsoever. Particularly even under gradual cornering, the truck almost wants to do a 4 wheel drift.

The roads in my area might be just simply as bad as they get right now, but I'm wondering if anyone has put winter tires on their STA. It's tough for me to justify since we don't get that many significant winter events...If anyone is running winters, I'd be curious to know what model and size hits the sweetspot.

Thanks in advance! This website is an awesome source of information!

im in calgary and I agree, overall they seem ok, but on ice they are totally useless... not sure what tires would be much better on pure ice though.

Thanks for the affirming responses...

XST - you know what I'm talking about because I'm in Calgary too - the last two days have been somewhat uncharacteristic road wise. I'm no stranger to driving on snow and ice - I had a Nissan Titan before with REVOS and it did much better on the ice....could have been the extra weight though. I'm going to put some weight in the box and see what that does - really I was just checking to see if anyone was running winters on their truck.

After yesterdays insane snowstorm in upstate, NY on tires with 12.5k...they actually drove awesome. excellent traction. In my icey driveway they sucked big time! Almost no traction at all. Just about ran into my basket ball pole!

I just replaced the scorpians after 4 or 5 years. Overall very happy with the traction the gave. Wet oily florida roads, and alot of driving between upstate NY and various other snowy lands!! The previous tires were the stock goodyears, which I disliked, and got stuck many times. Never got stuck or slid with the scorpians.. The new set is a cheaper pair, which by the looks of things will be my ST's last set... Almost time for a retirement of the ole' ST..

I just bought a set of Bridestone Blizzak, DM-V1, 235/65-18, on the stock Limited rims. We're expecting weather by Sunday afternoon, so I'll post my experience with them later. BC :unsure:

Latest posts