This oil spill may be the end for us....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
The oil is now about 150 miles from Key West and they have closed fishing in the Dry Tortugas. If it hits us and inundates the reef and beaches, its only a matter of time before we will face almost certain economic ruin. Our economy is heavily dependent on tourism and no one will come to a dead sea. The people who run the hotels, restaurants, stores and attractions are my patients, and they will have to leave if they have no jobs. If enough leave, my numbers will soon dwindle and I will not be able to pay my own bills, forcing me to reduce my staff or close the business I have built from scratch over 12 years, leaving Key West without an eye surgeon and me scrambling to find a job. This is all a bit surreal, especially since I just bought a new boat and had the best day fishing of my life this past saturday. I'm filled with impotent rage, at the oil companies, at the politicians who took their money(Mr. President) and even at myself as I look at that beautiful V8 Adrenalin I just bought.

Obviously, many will suffer much more than me, and my losses will pale in comparison to the 11 men who lost their lives on the rig and my friends who are wholly dependent on tourism for their livelihood. I guess I will feel like my good friend the United pilot, who lost $2 million in retirement savings at the stroke of a pen, through no fault of his own. Fortunately, I can prescribe my own Lexapro...

For now, I will work as hard as I can, eliminate frivolous spending and carry on as usual, thankful for my family and their support. I keep thinking of a scene from the movie "The Eiger Sanction", where Clint Eastwood and several other elite climbers are trapped on an icy mountain and in peril. Another climber, knowing their likely fate, says to Clint's character, Dr. Hemlock, "You are very good, I have enjoyed climbing with you." Dr. Hemlock replies, "Keep climbing, we'll make it" and the other climber says, "I don't think so, but we will carry on, with style..." :boohoo:

and even at myself as I look at that beautiful V8 Adrenalin I just bought.

Dont feel mad at yourself, you were trying to stimulate the economy!

Fortunately, I can prescribe my own Lexapro...

:bwahaha: but frowned upon in the medical community as I am sure you know. At least here in CT we aren't supposed to write scripts for ourselves. (don't worry - I'm not bashing you, I think its funny)

in all honesty, I feel for you. I hope your worst nightmares do not reveal themselves. This oil spill is itself a nightmare and some solution must happen fast! I pray your life and practice do not suffer. Hang in there. as Joseph Kennedy once said, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going." As a surgeon, I am sure you have had to stay "tough" to get where you are today.

this is a f-in mess. :sad:

just what we need when the economy is starting to recover.

SOMEONE needs to be accountable. :fire:

lasik, best of luck & hope all works out well.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Doc, This a genuine disaster. The potential for economic ruin is significant. I empathize with you and your friends and patients. Key West is one of my favorite getaways (even did my honeymoon there!) All anyone can do is pray that, one, the pipeline is capped, and two, the oil plume remains offshore so as not to pose a threat to the reefs. Sorry man, BC

all this talk about other fuels. we have one e85. so we need to start using it. as far as the oil spill we are all doomed. one of many man made disaters we have caused the earth. it is said. i`m in jacksonville,fl we will see the oill soon. i`m done i don`t even what to get started about this. i sick off it. :throwup::toilet::btddhorse:

all this talk about other fuels. we have one e85. so we need to start using it.

This is not the answer. Too costly to produce & results in much poorer fuel mileage. This also has a very heavy impact on food products and their resulting shortage and cost. We need nuclear facilities to produce our electrical needs, which will reduce our consumption of oil and coal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike- I can think of two other career killers I have faced and won- the first was low MCAT scores which kept me out of med school for 3 years. The second was a very beautiful, very fiery latin girlfriend who threatened to reveal my ER moonlighting(done to fund a $100k lifestyle on a $30k salary) to my dept. chairman, which would have ended my residency. We'll survive this.....:driving:

Thanks Mike- I can think of two other career killers I have faced and won- the first was low MCAT scores which kept me out of med school for 3 years. The second was a very beautiful, very fiery latin girlfriend who threatened to reveal my ER moonlighting(done to fund a $100k lifestyle on a $30k salary) to my dept. chairman, which would have ended my residency. We'll survive this.....

Right on brother. Be strong. Btw, I had my first cadaver lab dissection today. I STILL smell like formaldehyde after 2 showers and 8 hours later!:cry:

Latest posts