This is where the ranger and Sport Trac went

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Ford Ranger that Ford just sells overseas now is way more of a Sport Trac then anything else. Just look at it from straight on and it looks like the brand new Explorer that is sold over here.

I hope that Ford one day sells this truck on this side of the pond.

Sorry but that is old news. That truck has been available elsewhere since the 2012 model year. Ford will need to get their collective heads out of their butts before we can buy it here. :sad:

I just read the other day that GM is planning to build two different small/midsize trucks. One for the economy minded and another for those who want a more capable truck but not a fullsize.

Ford only knows one size...HUGE!

I have been a blue-blooded Ford guy all my life but unless they wise up I will end up on the dark side.

I was considering a new Mustang for a while but this whole situation with Ford trying to dictate what customers buy has turned me off from buying anything. I suppose I will just keep my Trac until it dies and then buy another used one or switch to a brand that listens to what customers want and need.

If this gets passed and production models look even remotely close to that concept, I will be buying one as soon as Im out of college!! Those look tough.

I personally have no use for a truck that is even less capable than the last US Ranger and that seems to be what Ford is talking about. Guess I will be in the market for a (gag) Colorado. Ford says they have it figured out but they still have their heads up their arse. Most people who buy a truck that is not going to be used on a farm or construction site still want something they can haul a decent load in or tow a boat with. But they also don't need a truck that can tow 11,000 lbs or is too big to be parked on a city street or in a one car garage. If anyone has it figured out it's Toyota. They sell a ton more Tacomas than they do Tundras and they have probably finally realized that is where their market is. Their customer base in this country is for personal use trucks and not commercial use. And why does a half ton truck need to be just as capable as a one ton used to be anyway? One could also argue that the F-150 steals sales away from the Super Duty. If Ford is so obsessed with their F-series holding onto the light truck sales crown then build the T6 Ranger here and call it the F-100 so you can lump it in with other F-series sales numbers. Who cares if it takes a few sales away from the F-150 that really ought to be called an F-250? At least you haven't lost that customer completely. With fuel prices and government mandated fuel efficiency standards rising every year it is just a matter of time before Ford's light truck sales are lost to manufacturers who are willing to offer a more reasonably sized and therefore more efficient truck for the personal use market.

I just threw that in there for effect but if Ford can't get their act together it might just happen. Remember, we haven't seen the future midsize Cheby yet either. After having been beaten on my entire life by all the GM neanderthals for being a Ford guy I certainly don't want those idiots to think they were right. :grin:

I used to have faith that Ford would always build a choice of vehicles that the average driver could afford and vehicles that made sense. Not so much anymore. They seem to be saying that we don't deserve a choice. If you don't want to buy an F-series then you simply shouldn't be buying a truck at all and maybe we can sell you something isn't even a real truck. :sad:

How about a 1/2 ton truck the size of those in the late '80's and a smaller diesel than the super duty trucks have? 7-8K towing is all most half ton drivers will ever need. I tow a 6K trailer with my V8 Trac. Could use a bit more torque, but does pretty good and got 11 MPG on the last haul.

Has anyone noticed how large the full size trucks have gotten? I rented a Tundra a while back. Felt like a battleship.

chr$, sounds like your trailer is about like mine. It's an 18 ft enclosed trailer that weighs about 3k lbs empty. The ST tows it surprisingly well. I have hauled my '68 Cougar and my '99 Mustang Cobra as well as several loads of furniture. I don't need a bigger truck. A T6 Ranger with the 3.2L 5 cyl turbo diesel would probably do a better job towing than the Sport Trac but I don't know if I would be happy with the hassles and costs of the newer diesels. Imagine a T6 Ranger with the 3.5L EcoBoost! Come to think of it that would make a helluva motor swap for the ST.

BARF :throwup:

We think we know what it looks like.? In short, it would need about 1000 pounds of payload capacity, 3000 pounds of towing, and a dramatic reduction in fuel consumption. Does it need to be a traditional body-on-frame truck? ?No,? Scott answers. The target consumers really don?t care, as long as a car-based pickup is durable and can haul what they need.?

What he is talking about is much less than the Honda Ridgeline, which has a payload of 1497 lbs. and a 5,000 lb. towing capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
What he is talking about is a Focus size wagon with only half the roof. Think Falcon Ranchero only worse. Ford wants to sell you something that they don't need a different chassis for than any of the ones they already build in North America. They don't want to sell you what you really need like maybe a T-6 Ranger that they already sell in over 180 other countries because they don't build anything here yet that uses the same frame and if they did it would eat into the F-150's sales numbers. I don't know how the new Transit full-size van compares to the T-6 Ranger as far as the chassis is concerned although it will offer a similar 3.2L 5 cylinder turbo diesel and the 3.5L EcoBoost V6. All we can hope is that Ford is smart enough to build a version (F-100?) of the next gen world Ranger alongside the Transit when it comes to Kansas City.

Latest posts