This is crazy, a must read!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Byrd

Reaction score
Back in July I traded the trac for an 08 silverado crew cab... trac was an 01 with many,many miles-- front end problems,etc.... when I signed I received $6250 in rebates and incentives, so the dealer says that to qualify for all the rebates they had to date the contract to June and the only downfall was that I would have a pymt due in like 2 weeks-- wife and I were fine with that. We contacted the dealer several days before pymt was due and told them finance co. hadn't sent us a pymt book or a letter or anything... asked if they had an address to send the pymt to--- dealer said mail it to them, they would send it in with the contracts (they had not sent them in yet). so we did what they said and sent them the pymt. 2 days later a secretary called from the dealership asking for the registration for the GM that we traded. Wife told her we traded a Ford not a GM--she said yes she had the one for the ford but needed the other one for the GM trade, told her we only traded in 1 truck. she stated that that's not what the papers on her desk reflected and that's how we qualified for all of the rebates-- owner loyalty thing I guess, this was the first we had heard of that. nothing was disclosed to us about any "funny" business to get the deal right. then the salesman calls my wife and tells her he needs her to fax over a copy of her registration for her Expedition for their records, she asked why and he said just to have it on file (unbelievable huh?) she hung up and called me-- I said not to fax it, we never did. In the next couple of days finance co. calls and says they have a check from us but we do not have an acct with them-- we explained the situation (except the registration situation) and told her the dealer sent it in with the contracts--- she said it came in a plain envelope and she got our ph.# off the check--- I gave her the vin# to pull up-- she said nothing there.... I gave her the dealer name, address, phone#,salesman etc... we then receive our check back in the mail days later with a letter saying that we do not owe them anything. 2 days later we receive a letter of denial from the finance co. stating that they could not agree to the terms requested by the dealer. We called the salesman, got voice mail---he has never called back------------------------ dealer has cashed my down pymt check ---------- and my trac has been sold according to the sec. that called about the registration........... here it is 4th of Sept--------------- no finance co---- no pymts--- no return call from dealer--- and my trade has been sold------ what do all of you guys make of this? BB:wacko:

I would call the police. There is obviously some fraud going on here and a case may be made that they stole your ST. I'd be prepared to return the new truck to the dealer, since you probably don't own it. Hopefully, you have copies of all the contracts.

Go to Clarkhoward.com you might want to get the phone number off the website.

He is a consumer advocate radio host here in Atlanta, his show is also syndicated.

He has a consumer action center that answers questions monday through fridays.

in addition to taking callers on the radio.

also check with your secretary of State's office adn the Better Business bureau.

That for starters.

Get ready to hire a lawyer too,

Sounds like this dealer is up to no good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im with Nelson on this one. I dont know about the fraud part. I would contact the police and the BBB in advance. Dont be suprised that you dont have the silverado and the ST in very short order. I would get me an attorney "now" !

Something is not right as if someone is cooking the books and you got caught in it.

sounds like the dealer is out of trust on the floor plan, and using any source of funds they can get to keep the doors open until things get better, probably gonna lose the new truck, make sure you have copies of all the paperwork, might want to stop by the dealer and ask for the salesman you dealt with, the finance guy etc.,

to answer a few questions... yes, I have copies of all of the paperwork. I just can't figure out the "losing the new truck" part though---- with having the contracts- registered in my name- I purchased the trac used so I had a pay-off on it ---the dealer had paid it off (got my copies of proof from my previous finance co.) and they have sold the trade-in or auctioned it off most likely. I am financible- they may just have to eat alot on this one??? BB:wacko:

bcbyrd, you have a long road ahead of you. My father-in-law a few years ago, bought a '03 Mountaineer of a local dealer here. It was a trade and he traded a Caddy STS in on it. They supposedly paid off his STS and gave him a pretty good deal on the Mountie. Here what they were doing was, taking vehicles in on trade, then selling them without paying off the remainder of the loan. He didn't realize what happened until it was time to register his Mountie that the vehicle wasn't paid off from the original owner and the state wouldn't register it. (by then his STS was already sold and his loan wasn't paid off either (not sure why his bank didn't say anything by then)) He couldn't get it registered until after the court hearing, so it sat in his driveway for almost 6 months. Not saying this is exactly like your situation, but somewhat. You may not have to give the truck back, you will probably have to go through the whole finance thing again, but may not get the same price you did. The dealer should take a hit on it, but doesn't mean they won't try to get you to take some of the hit for it also.

Best thing is to get a lawyer and be sure and report them to everyone you can. Something shady is going on there and unfortunately you are caught in the middle.:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever see National lampoons vacation?

Hope you don't get stuck with the "Family Truckster".

Good luck!!!

Did you get a title? You got the paperwork? Did you get plates yet? If you can answer yes to all those questions... you might have a good deal. Not a free truck, but some sort of a good deal. You have a contract and they don't have your old vehicle.

Get a lawyer. It varies by state what your rights are. I won't give advice based on my state. The rules can be different. In mine, there is no three day buyers remorse leeway when buying a car. You sign the papers, it doesn't matter if you don't officially take delivery they can drop it off in your driveway and you own it. You can't change your mind.

Get the advice of a good lawyer, it may take some hunting to find one that is knowledgable in automobile purchases.

bcbyd:

do you have proof from the finance co that your ST was paid off? if yes, good, and you have copies of all the paper work from the sale, does it inidicate anything about trading in your other vehicle on the new GM, if not good as well. Could be a major screw up on the dealer side but that would a rare case as the finance guys usually don't miss anything like that, but still possible, still I would be wary of the deal.

I have proof in the form of a letter that my trade-in was paid off (letter from finance co.) We transferred the license plates from my trade to new truck. The new truck has been registered in my name and i have the registration. My contract reflects only 1 vehicle being traded--- the 01 trac. the dealer even registered me with onstar and xmradio--- i received letters from both. I even have insurance on it with the lien holder as the finance co that has rejected their #'s. crazy, screwed up mess. I don't feel as though I should have to contact the dealer again, maybe that's just me being hard-headed???

If financing wasn't approved for your new truck, then where's the title? The dealer should either still have the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), or should've sent it in to the DMV to have a title issued. You need to track that down too. If a title has been issued by DMV, then where is it?

Bcbyrd,

Not that this is your fault, but this can be viewed as a learning opportunity for you and all.

In the future never, and I mean EVER go into a dealer to buy a vehicle until you have secured your own, best-terms-possible, financing.

Then, either finance the deal through GM, Ford, or Chrysler credit (whatever the case may be), or through your own secured financing...whichever terms are better.

The big three and their finance arms leaving nothing to chance, so you won't likely have a deal mishandled by them.

Go in with other options and all bases covered.

TJR

Sounds like some financial funny business going on at the dealer. I agree, contact a lawyer. That said, I think as long as you are able to secure new financing on your Silverado I wouldn't worry about losing it. Probably a long shot, but if your lawyer is able to get you a clear title then you have a new Silverado for the price of your trade-in plus some legal fees.

I got new carpet for my house last year, financed it for three years at 0%, and the carpet store chain went belly-up soon after. The financing went through Citibank though, so I should probably still pay them. :lol:

o.k. guys , new information today on the "crazy" truck deal---- salesman called my wife and said that the dealership had gotten things squared away with the finance company and all we needed to do was to send the dealership or the finance company 2 payments , and put in the mail today if we would, so this thing can be behind us. She told him that he would need to speak to me about this so I called him back this afternoon. He told me that they still needed a copy of my wife's registration to get this deal finalized and to send my 2 pymts in today. I told him that I had a feeling I knew what was going on with the registrations and the rebates... He assurred me (he thought) that everything was on the up and up. I asked to speak with the finance manager and I was connected to him--- he actually said he had my deal on his desk and when I clued him in on the registration deal- he looked through my folder and said he had the registration for the GM trade in-- I asked who's name it was in and what model gm--- he read a name and a model to me, and I responded that that was my mother-in-laws regist. and that she had traded 3 weeks before I did. He was speachless, especially when I asked where my trade in was and when could I come and swap the trucks out and take my trac back. He told me that it was already sold, he then said that the dealership would make the first 2 pymts for me and they would do that today. I told him that I was still not happy with this "grayness" of the deal. He reminded me that the dealership provided a service of spray-in bed liners, window tinting and they had accessories for my truck, I said "like a chrome toolbox, vent visors, and aftermarket exhaust?" to which he responded---"all of those things- yes we do and yes we can" he told me that he would call me back Wednesday to get with me on the EXTRAS. This could get even more interesting. that's all for now----BB i appreciate all of you guys' comments and input---- BB

Latest posts