Third brake light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bendfeldt

Reaction score
One of the clear lights on the third break light went out a while ago so I took it apart and cleaned the bottom of the bulb, light worked fine for a week. Now it's not working again. Took the bulb from other side put it in where the bulb was out and it worked for a minute or two but now I can't get either of them working. These bulbs just push straight in with no twisting. The filaments look fine. If anyone has some idea as to fixing this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Benny

I just replaced my whole light unit with an LED one I found on ebay. I had the same issues but never could get them to stay working. I say just upgrade and avoid any more hassle. It took me all of 30 min to take the old one out strip the old wires and reconnect to the new light unit. And I've had no issues with it at all up to now and it's been about two years now.:supercool:

Where the wires on the bulb fold over. Try expanding the wires, then plug it in. could try a thin piece of cardboard and fold the wire against it.

If that doesnt help. The socket is worn out or dirty, not making contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found the contact wires on the bulb can get a layer of oxidation on them. Not worth cleaning. I just bought new bulbs and they've been fine for over six years now.

Hey Kegger I am thinking of going with the LED brake light. Couple of questions... How is the light output compared to the standard? Which did you get clear or smoke? How does it look with the factory tail lights? Would you mind posting or sending me a pic showing the third brake light and the tail lights in the same photo? Thanks

Recon?

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1247488&sitename=mysporttrac

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1311264

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Recon unit and it works great now going on 3 years. LED output is superb and it is smoked black which looks great on my 2008 Adrenalin Black.

Latest posts