Thinking of trading the ST for a Humvee!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The H1 Hummer was actually a vehicle I was considering when I bought the ST. I found a reasonably price used one, but decided that I couldn't afford the upkeep. Every part is remarkably expensive and they break way too much. The military version is much tougher than the consumer version, but it also is incredibly louder to ride in as well.

Oh well, happy with the ST. ;)

I've got one down here, FUN TO DRIVE!!! But I still prefer Jade. I just took the driving test to get certified on the HMMWV, and we took some trails, did some rock crawling, and some river fording. All that so I could have a daily driver to the jobsite that I'll probably only take off road on the airfield. The M-60 turret does make a great sunroof though! :D

They are fun to drive, but IMO aren't all that great off-road. People really get out of the way fast when you're in one though :)

Larry, I also got certified on the HMMWV while I was doing my annual tour at McGuire. I was working as a ramp coordinator at the aerial port and got to drive it for two weeks. I agree, great for off road, but for pavement, I'll take the ST.

I remember back when I got certified on the HMMWV, I should dig out my old license sometime and see what I had on it, there was a ton of stuff on there.

When I started at my assignment in the Army, we took one of those out and our Hemmitt Wrecker to do some vehicle recovery. It had rained for a couple of days and we found a huge mudhole and tried to bury the Humvee. We soent 6 hours out there and never got it stuck. It was great fun but never did get any training on how to recover the damn thing if it got stuck.:lol:;)

It's a few days after the rain, when the top looks dry, that you really get them stuck. You think you're on solid ground, and then suddenly you're stuck. :)

I know. We never really had to get too many of them out. Mostly it was the 2 1/2 ton trucks we had problems with. I did see one over in Desert Storm driving around with only 3 wheels. The one tire was blown off by a landmine. They could take a beating and keep ticking. The road travel sucked due to the drone from the tires, but not as bad as the damn Hemmtts. those big tires would just drone like crazy and get so hot on the roads in Saudi that you couldn't touch them when we'd stop for a break that if you did, you would get your hand back with hot rubber all over it.;)