They don't make things like they used to.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darrel Chaney01

Reaction score
I saw on the national news tonight about a light bulb in Livermore, CA that has been burning continuous since 1901. They said the company that made it closed in 1914. I wish it was still in business today, only making cars, trucks and computers. :lol: Here is one link I found. It also has it's own web camara.

Isn't that the bulb that they showed on Mythbusters... They showed that the fillament is much thicker than today's bulbs. There was something else about it, or the wiring or something that doesn't allow it to burn as bright as todays bulbs which makes it last longer, i think.

If Ford would have made the Model T's to last that long, they would have been out of business decades ago. You have to find a happy balance. Yugos only lasted about 25K miles. That's too short. :)

Yugos only lasted about 25K miles. That's too short.

A guy dad worked with drove 70 miles, one way, to work. He owned 3 Yugo's. All had over 200,000 miles on them without any problems at all.

Tom

Not that this feat isn't significant, and I am sure that today's "common" bulbs can't compete in longevity, it is worth mentioning that as far as duration of operation goes, a lightbulb left on continuously will outlast (from the standpoint of total time on) an identical bulb that is turned on and off over time. The heat/cooling cycles of turning on/off takes its toll. Didya ever notice bulbs blow when first turned on? That's due to the stress of heatup.

TJR

Just as a note, all electrical devices (lightbulbs included) will usually fail when turned on due to the electrical "surge" of current. Various bulbs have been marketed over the years that promise longer life by providing a thicker element, but people don't want to pay the cost when they can buy a bunch of cheap bulbs. :rolleyes:

Latest posts