The Worlds Healthiest Countries (and What We Can Learn From Them)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are our top 10 countries (America not included) in no particular order:

Japan

With an average life expectancy of 86 for women and 79 for men, Japan has some of the longest-lived citizens in the world. And amazingly enough, much of Japan no longer features the bucolic, serene environments of the Kurosawa films that many assume still flourish. Japanese business culture has grown high stress and impacted, but the healthy diet rich in seaweed and fish has remained the same. Government-sponsored exercise programs contribute to the longevity, too.

What can we learn from Japan? Eat fish and exercise so basically, just keep doing what weve been doing.

Australia

Mens Fitness gave the Outback its top ranking. Their reasoning? The low rates of heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure resulting from all the volleyball they play and steak they eat. Huh? A mainstream mag promoting red meat consumption? Amazing! What they fail to mention is that much of Australias cattle is range-fed, meaning most of their steak is raised the way nature intended.

Not that we needed to tell you, but intense bouts of exercise like in beach volleyball and grass-fed steaks are perfect for the Primal lifestyle.

Sweden

Swedens claim to good health is pretty undeniable: high cancer survival rates and excellent childrens healthcare. And their public healthcare is famously comprehensive, owing in part to the high government spending. But plenty of other countries have universal healthcare with less impressive results. Why is that? Sweden approaches healthcare from a holistic point of view, knowing that happier citizens are healthier citizens. From well-lit public places promoting evening walks to creating happier professional lives for its workers, Sweden understands the Primal idea that health isnt just about medicine.

Greece

Sometimes, its not what you eat thats important, but how you eat it. Greece puts heavy emphasis on the social aspect of dining. A meal is to be enjoyed, savored. And, in turn, the relaxation that accompanies a nice leisurely dinner aids in digestion. Now, though we doubt Primal man was much of a slow eater, not having to watch your surroundings for possible predators and being able to enjoy your food would have been a luxury even Grok would welcome. Dont forget that eating is a social activity; eat Primally, but do so with friends and loved ones.

Italy

Shopping for the days groceries in Italy often means making several stops at the butcher, the grocer, the baker. The Costcos and Ralphs are few and far between, meaning that the focus is on fresh, unprocessed foods. Go to an American grocery store and youll be assaulted by cans, packages, and Styrofoam (as well as fresh vegetables and meats, provided you stick to the perimeter); but in Italy, you simply arent inundated with all the processed, pre-packaged food. And that means buying fresh, whole foods becomes an everyday part of life.

Iceland

Just like Sweden, Iceland places a heavy emphasis on healthcare, offering extensive pre- and post- birth healthcare for mother and child. The result? The worlds healthiest infants, with just two deaths before the age of five for every 1,000 births. Primal man knew the evolutionary imperative of providing for your offspring, and so does Iceland. Parents are also guaranteed three months of paid professional leave for every child, which undoubtedly makes for happy families.

Cuba

Longtime trade embargo notwithstanding, Cuba enjoys some of the best healthcare in the world. Cuban healthcare focuses on early detection and prevention. Medicine and medical equipment are often in short supply, making prevention a necessity. Cuba highlights the effectiveness of such a strategy. If Cuba can keep its citizens healthy despite the embargo and substandard equipment, what does that say about the American tradition of popping pills and chronic treatment? It sounds like maybe Primal, healthy living is the best healthcare around.

Finland

Thirty years ago, Finland had the highest death rate from heart disease among men about 5 deaths per 1,000. Local governments began promoting healthy living, and today, fruit and vegetable intake has more than doubled. Smoking has dwindled, too. Nowadays, Finland men have a heart disease death rate about average for the region 1 per 1,000 and one of the lowest infant mortality rates. Just goes to show what a little focus on fresh whole foods and clean living can do.

Germany

All the usual culprits are here: nationalized healthcare, high tax rates, fresh, whole foods. So its no surprise that Germany ranks among the worlds healthiest countries. But Germany also has incredibly clean air, promoting a very active, outdoorsy culture that relishes walking and bike riding. Fresh, whole foods and clean air whats not to like?

France

Experts marvel at Frances low rates of heart disease in spite of the high fat content of its cuisine. Conventional wisdom says fat = bad! Of course, fats never turned us off, but its nice to see it being praised, rather than demonized. France also tends to eat longer, slower meals and use fresh, whole ingredients.

Germans eat very fatty foods too. Bratwurst, Liverwurst, Mettwurst, Weisswurst, etc. plus the beer and wine on almost every meal.

Fatty foods are not bad for you.

Tom

What can we learn from Japan? Eat fish and exercise so basically, just keep doing what weve been doing.

Americans don't do these things, especially exercise, which is why America is the global repository of morbidly obese people.

The vast majority of those countries listed have lower Ages of Consent than America (Especially if you average them). Japan's age of consent, for example, is 12.

Can we also draw something from that?

This article insinuates that national healthcare is a blessing with no downsides :(

"Lies, damn lies, and Statistics" Mark Twain.

EDIT: +1 to Caymen. Other countries are far more liberal with alcohol. Maybe playing it to society as a bad substance and keeping it under legal wraps to citizens till 21 rolls around is backfiring. I still can't believe the states caved to the bogus ultimatum for the 21 drinking age, but that's a rant for another day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Germans eat very fatty foods too. Bratwurst, Liverwurst, Mettwurst, Weisswurst, etc. plus the beer and wine on almost every meal.

Fatty foods are not bad for you.

I cannot argue with that, but . . .

Germany

All the usual culprits are here: nationalized healthcare, high tax rates, fresh, whole foods. So its no surprise that Germany ranks among the worlds healthiest countries. But Germany also has incredibly clean air, promoting a very active, outdoorsy culture that relishes walking and bike riding. Fresh, whole foods and clean air whats not to like?

This article insinuates that national healthcare is a blessing with no downsides.

So, do you offer a better solution? Our country absolutely cannot keep going current the way of health insurance companies only thinking of their bottom line at the expense of the quality of care that one needs. And, big pharma pushing drugs with side effects that are not good for us. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Our country is slowly changing at a grass roots level, but the insurance companies & big pharma are kicking and screaming all the way.

Correlational studies aren't always accurate. They fail to take into account a wide variety of variables and they are NOT causation. And if someone has an agenda (left or right) they can be manipulated to push such an agenda.

Two things that I can suggest that we have that all those other countries DO NOT have are:

1: A strong agri-corn lobby and high fructose corn syrup used as a sweetener in most every food produced.

2: Lots and lots of space, and square miles per capita, the rural and suburban sprawl and non-pedestrian lifestyle that accompanies said.

Farmers learned long ago that to fatten pigs you should feed them corn and limit their exercise. And we wonder why we are fat and Eurasians are not.

TJR

While most of the countries mentioned are democratic nations, they have far more governement control, and much higher taxes to go along with that. The do not have an illegal alien population problem, most have some form of socialized medicine, and their healthy life style is often dictated by the high cost of food, and energy.

Germans started walking in response to the early 1970's oil embargo when the government shut down the Autobahns on Sundays to save fuel. The citizens started walking and riding their bikes on the autoban and realized they felt better. When the oil embargo ended and the Autobahn was opened to traffic again, they started VolksMarches where people paid a fee to walk 5, 10 or more kilometers for a souveneir metal or beer mug, etc.

Germay also has manditory paid vacations for all workers along with regularly paid visits to spas as a way of revitalizing their workforce even if they are not sick, and this does not count as vacation time. This is not to mention about 26 paid holidays a year.

Most of the countries have had very high energy costs and refrigerators in every home were very small and freezers were all but non-existent. This what has made their citizens got to the market daily for fresh meat and produce. Most of these countries suffered the ravages of war, and were faced with low wages and unemployment. They did not grow up with an abundance of pre-processed foods, fast foods, so they did not get addicted to the convenience of ihighly processed instant foods

Italians don't eat pizza with 2 lbs of cheese, 4 lbs of pepperoni, or sausage on it, and with additional cheese stuffed in the crust. They don't wash all of that down with sodas, or a 6-pack of beer. Americans have taken traditional, healthy, old-world receipies and have turned them into instant heart attacks.

All of these countries has some form of socialized or goverment provided healthcare, and they all contains some form of preventive orwellness features to keep their population healthy

When our school systems require PE for all students there is an uproar from many parents who think their kid should be exempt from PE, etc.

That's why I don't think healthcare reform will work if we just patch the existing system. We need to start thinking outside the box and start looking at the total health needs of our whole society, and be prepared for the sticker shock that comes with it. If there is no Public option or government sponsored healthcare, who is going to do it and how will we pay for it. Insurance companies would be glad to do it, but everybody's health insurance premiums will insure that nobody has health insurance because we can't afford it.

...Rich

Our country absolutely cannot keep going current the way of health insurance companies only thinking of their bottom line at the expense of the quality of care that one needs.

Why can't we? This is called Capitalism. It seems to work.

However, corporations do prioritize profit over our wellbeing, as they must, but the most "criminal" corporation is, as TJR succinctly pointed out, the corn industry.

Corn is in everything, and no one has found that corn syrup in most everything is anything but bad. The only people who praise it are the corn growers, and the suspicious parents who claim that HFCS allows their kids to drink soda that they otherwise couldn't as their kids are sugar intolerant.

We, as Americans, don't get enough exercise and everything we eat is loaded with fattening and malicious corn syrup.

So we need to get corn out of every product, but I wouldn't look to the government for that. The government, under pressure of corn & "national interest", put a massive tariff on sugar, as its one crop that we can't really grow enough of :(

Corn also has the free subsidy of 10% ethanol in all gasoline I see :(

If we, and the oft-looked to government, can't break the more behind-the-scenes corn industry, why do you think we can break the insurance industry?

KL,

All great points.

If the government subsidized the tobacco industry and the tobacco industry lobbied to get tar and nicotine into a majority of our food products people would go absolutely ape-sh!t. We wouldn't allow it.

But with the corn industry we are doing just that, and its in everything. At least with tobacco it is only in a handful of products which you can arguably pass on if you want. This is where the naive will say that people can pass on HFCS products as well...to which I say: easier said than done.

The corn industry and its use of corn as a sweetener is far, far more insidious than big tobacco ever was.

I suspect that corn syrup is killing more people and creating more healthcare costs yearly, today, than tobacco.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not just corn. It's any food that is processed !!! Why do we have to have Calcium added to everything! Why do we have to have extra vitamines and other chemicals added to our food. If we need more calcium, or missing some vitamines, why can't we take a vitamin pill??

This all leads to the question, Why are we not getting all of our necessary vitamines, minerals, and nutritional value from our foods??? Because too much of it is pricessed and they are processing out all the nutrition from our foods for the sake of shelf life, better flavor, less calories, less fat, low carbs, etc.

We complain about the Chinese putting lead paint on our kid's toys, but those toys probably have more nutritional value than the so-called packaged instant food crap they sell in stores.

Of course much of the problem is that fresh fruit, vegatables, grains, meat and fish do not keep very long or don't ship well, so it's cheaper to process it, add chemicals to make it last longer and charge more for the package than what's inside.

...Rich

Richard L,

RIGHT!

Also, the average European has a something like a 12 cubic foot refrigerator with small icebox, goes to the market at least 5 times a week, and therefore eats a lot of fresh, unprocessed foods.

The average American goes to the grocery store or food warehouse a couple of times a week, stocking up on processed food they might not eat for months, and stores it on a shelf or in their 45 cubic foot (or bigger) frig/freezer.

TJR

TJR,

I think I did say that just a few posts earlier.

When I was in Europe the first time in 1968, most people only had about a 6 cubic foot refrigerator and the freezer would only hold a tray of ice cubes or one package of frozen vegatables...one or the other but not both.

Their refrigerators have grown over the years, but they have kept the habit of preferring the fresh unprocessed foods.

....Rich

While I was in Germany for three months, my health improved. I ate nothing but rich fatty foods along with sweets for breakfast.

A normal days meal consisted of the following...

Breakfast was two danishes with either carbonated water or a diet soda. (I drink diet soda exclusivly since I can not stand the sugar taste in regular pop)

Lunch was some Turkish quickie meal called Doenner or Pitzen. Sometimes I would eat McDonalds.

Dinner was Argentine Steak, Crab, Octopus, Squid, or just about anything I wanted. I also drank some French, Italian, or Greek wine.

My meals were suplimented with plenty of beer. An average evening consisted of MANY cold beers. On average I would drink 6 to 8 one half litre beers in an evening. The stores close down at 6 PM and the only thing to do was drink or watch TV in a language I do not know very well.

On sundays, I would go to the brunch buffett and each mozzarella cheese covered in fresh basil and olive oil, cous cous, grape leaves, ham, eggs, etc. During my brunch, I would drink 2 bottles on sparkling wine before I finished up the day in the bar until past 11 PM.

I was an eating and drinking machine. That is pretty much all I did. I was not allowed to work on sundays, so there isn't anything to do on sundays because most businesses are closed on sundays.

During that time, I lost 40 LBS.

i was not more active at work there than I was at home on the road. I ate more food than I care to think about. I still lost 40 LBS.

I do not eat as much food at home as I did in Germany.

Why? Is it the food we eat? Are we being fed hormones that other countries don't?

I don't know. We had a vehicle to drive, but using the public transportation was eaiser and cheaper. We only drove to and from work.

Is there a "reason" Americans are fat? Is this by design?

Tom

Caymen,

Sounds too good to be true.

All I can guess was that the food you ate was "better for you" (though it sounds too good to be true, but ingredients and processed vs. fresh can make a difference); or maybe it was the difference of the extra walking done to use public trans when you did (though it sounds like that wasn't too much walking).

Were you otherwise active during that time? Lots of "sight seeing"?

TJR

Were you otherwise active during that time? Lots of "sight seeing"?

If I were sight seeing alot, it still would not be enough to overcome the triple food consumption and all that beer.

Tom

Do you have a theory that explains the weight loss?

Nope. Not a clue. Came home and in one month put the weight back on.

One thing I will never forget. While visiting my Grandmother, she went to the store to buy me a steak to celebrate me coming to visit. She got me the "good" piece of meat. You know, the one with extra fat on it. Of course, we American's are told fat is bad, I cut the fat off the meat. She was offended. The best part. A frined of hers was visiting when we had dinner. She ate the fat I cut off my steak. She just sucked it down.

According to my Grandmother, I threw away the best and most healthiest part of the meat.

How big was my grandmother? About 5' tall and weighed 100 LBS. The woman that ate the fat? About the same.

Tom

Latest posts