The Sterns are now a two Ford family

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
We've been searching for a replacement for our 2001 Chryslyer minivan for a few months. The Chrysler was showing its age, despite only 91K miles. And we need a tow capable vehicle that could handle more passengers, luggage and big dogs than my ST can reasonably manage. Basically, a full size SUV.

The criteria: 1) Seating for at least seven. 2) Rear seats that fold flat into floor. 3) Towing capacity of 6,000 or better, preferably on a frame based vehicle. 4) Quiet riding for long range comfort. 5) Under $30K purchase price. 6) Built to last well past 100K miles (unlike the Chrysler).

<LI>GM products were out from the get go. No fold flat feature.

<LI>Toyota Sequoia...too expensive new. Earlier, used models lack fold flat seats.

<LI>Nissan Armada, expensive, but possible as a base model new or a late used model.

<LI>Lincoln Navigator, expensive, but possible as a late model used.

<LI>Ford Expedition, probably best candidate in XLT trim new, or an Eddie Bauer late model used.

With recent gas price instability, and current economic malaise, there is good leverage for buying a big SUV. I was prepared to be patient until the right deal came along. Kept my eyes open on the Internet, Sunday paper, local ads, etc. Spotted a 2007 Navigator at a local dealer that had 23K miles and was advertised under $30K. Went Saturday to have a look. The vehicle was in near-new condition, with a couple of minor scratches and almost no wear on the interiror. Carfax indicated it was a repo after 19K miles and had been through three auctions since. Not an easy time to sell full size SUVs.

The dealer gave me $2K more for the Chrysler than my local Ford dealer offered, and knocked another $3K off the advertised price of the Navigator. I had been in negotiations for a couple of comparable 2007 Eddie Bauer Expeditions, with more mileage, which had netted out higher than the drive home price on the Lincoln. The Lincoln has a bit too much "chrome bling" for my taste, but it's awfully well outfitted on the inside. Hard to pass up.

And so the Navigator is now in my driveway.

This is our first time with the 5.4L V8. There are a lot of Expedition owners here, maybe some Navigator owners, too. Be interested to read what folks here have to say about maintenance and other issues relative to the motor, tranny, and the vehicle in general.

Also, want to add a backup camera. Anybody done it? Wired? Wireless? OEM? Aftermarket?

If you had asked me ten years ago if I would ever own two Fords, I would have said "not possible." At the time, we were Honda fans. The 2001 Sport Trac has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I have come to love Ford products. Happy to have a second Ford in the driveway!

had an '00 F150 4x4 5.4 auto bought new, had no problems from it in terms of reliablity, just do the normal maintanence stuff,towed about 5000 lbs of rock/gravel once with it, towed it fine, trailer didn't fare as well, towed enclosed MC trailer, no issues other than mpg sucked big time. I could get 18 mpg as a daily driver in this truck, 13 or so towing the enclosed trailer. Any load less than 2000 lbs and you'll never know its back there. I assume you have the tow package on the Navi right, if not you may need to upgrade the shocks to something more suitable for towing depending upon what you will have back there. If there is no evidence of it being used as a tow vehicle prior to you, good to go for a while, if it was used as a tow vehicle for something (hitch has evidence of being used alot) I would change the ATX fluid soon. enjoy

The 5.4l are award winning engines. My brother has 161,000 miles on his 99 F150 with the same engine and he tows several times a month. He just had it tune up and new filters, hoses, and belt on. Just normal maintenance. Trans is running strong. The navigator should have air suspension. It will compensate for the load offset by lowering the front end or raising the back for better stability. The towing on those is unreal. The shocks are pretty good but upgrading would not hurt.

I've had two with 5.4 Triton engine:

1997 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4. It was a great truck in every way. Comfy and quiet ride. I had it for ten years with no mechanical issues AT ALL. The only time it was in the shop for repairs was to replace the subwoofer of all things. 1997 was the first year for the Expedition, and in that respect, I think Ford did an excellent job in design of both form and function. The Laser Red metallic paint held up extremely well with a once a year wax job. The leather and interior bits held up exceptionally well. I towed a 27 foot travel trailer all over the four state area with no issues. The family I sold it to in 2007 was happy to get such a nice family hauler.

2000 F-150 Harley Edition. I owned it for 5 years and it was never in the shop for repairs. Strong engine. Beautiful truck. Only had 9K miles on it when I sold it to buy my Corvette.

I've test driven the Navigator and really liked it. They switched to independent rear suspension and fold down seats. Big improvement over what I had in the 97 model. I don't see how you could go wrong.

Congrats on your new purchase!!

"Also, want to add a backup camera. Anybody done it? Wired? Wireless? OEM? Aftermarket?"

Here is our info on our backup camera, see library for more pics.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1134296&sitename=mysporttrac

Hey folks, thanks for all the encouraging words. Appreciate the feedback on the vehicle and the camera system info.

I'll post a pic when she gets washed again...the pollen is flying heavy here in GA, and the entire outside world is taking on that springtime yellow/green tint.

Latest posts