The Squeak...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
my 01 sport trac has a few squeaks and I believe I have traced all of them to the two rear door mechanisms and the tail gate door mechanisms.

>I have read about other explorers having similar problems and a passable fix was to replace rivets that hold the door lock or some part of the power door lock mechanism together with screws. I have used a lithium based grease and the noise keeps returning and it all ways seems to make a mess so I was looking for a more permanent solution. If anyone has a suggestion that would be great. I plan on taking a look at the doors tomorrow and if I figure something out I will do a project.

Kind of similar but when I bought my 02 4wd it had a major squeaking issue with the bed extender. I think it's deja vu cause I'm starting to hear it again. :blink:

Squeak = movement. You can lube the area to smooth-out the vibration, but it is, as you know, temporary. It's better to stop the movement.

For the bed extender noise, I used a 5/8" Speed Bore bit and drilled two holes in the rubber bed mat where the rubber bumpers of the bed extender hit. The bed extender rubber bumpers fit tightly in to the holes and allows the bed extender to lay flat (no vibration, no squeak).

Is that better??

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts