The powdercoated goodies went broky

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I backed into pole that was in my blind spot and totalled my ten-year-old Waag rear bumper guard and rear fog light.

[Broken External Image]:

Exactly a week later, a 16-year-old backed into my Westin Safari bar in front. He didn't break any lights, but the Safari bar is toast. The pipe is flared and loose where it attached to the mounting bracket on the right side.

They protected the Ford bumpers and that's what counts. I have a new Safari bar in the garage compliments of the kid's mom. Not sure if I want to fork over $400 for a new rear bumper guard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch...

Most any shop can straighten out out pretty well..

I have done it using the bucket of our front end loader. Sanded and painted it and good to go...

Were they that rusty before they were hit or did getting hit pop the power-coat off and rusty underneath?

Either way a good reason to repair and paint or get new ones,

The front one is getting pretty rusty, too. Keeping these ten year old parts rust-free in Wisconsin is nearly impossible now that they spray calcium chloride or other pretreatment stuff on the highways before storms. They just started pretreating on a large scale within the past three years and that's when the rust started getting bad on peoples' stuff.

Sorry to hear about your bad fortune Mark. The rear bumper guard is a real shame as it was definitely unique to your Sport Trac, as far as I know. I'm glad you at least have a replacement safari bar. It's easy to spend your money, but you should repair or replace, IMO.

Ouch!

Odd to see that much rust underneath powdercoat. Unless the factory powdercoated over rust in the begining.

Or was the powdercoat already missing?

Got a new Safari bar on Amazon.com for $110 with free shipping. And the mom of the kid paid in full today.

Installed the new Safari bar yesterday. I had a friend with air tools help me. The old bar was so rusted that he was able to grab onto it and break the rust line near the mounting brackets. The remaining pieces of the bar and mounting bolts were so rusted that he spent 30 minutes cutting them off with an angle grinder.

Latest posts