The mother of all GAS questions..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh OH

Reaction score
Ok... While at work today, a debate started going around my shop about which was the better gas, regular 87 or premiums 91~93. I said that I thought 87 was better during winter, since it burns hotter. (Or so I've heard from friends that are mechanics..) And that 91~93 was better during the summer because it's cleaner...

Someone want to help me set the record straight?

~Josh

For an engine designed and tuned for 87..that is the best year round..it will always burn more thourly..Im sure someone can chime in the tech on that...

Theres not many vehicles out there that require the higher octane fuel mostly the higher end caddies and luxury cars, so I've been told. There was a special on CNN when the fuel cost started to sky rocket.

Octane defines resistance to detonation. The higher the octane number, the less likely it is to self ignite. If you advance your timing, you need higher octane. If you are running a turbo or supercharger, you need higher octane fuel.

For most vehicles, 87 octane is all you need. 92 octane fuel does not burn cleaner then 87 octane fuel does.

Tom

It looks like there is a temperature effect but any computer controlled ignition should easily compensate.

Now, if your driving a classic Ford with old school ignition, you might have a better case for the shop debate.

From an oil company website:

Your car's octane requirements are mainly determined by its basic design. In addition, variations in engines due to manufacturing tolerances can cause cars of the same model to require a different octane of several numbers. Also, as a new car is driven, its octane requirement can increase because of the buildup of combustion chamber deposits. This continues until a stable level is reached, typically after about 15,000 miles. The stabilized octane requirement may be 3-6 numbers higher than when the car was new

Other factors also influence your car's knocking characteristics:

Temperature: Generally, the hotter the ambient air and engine coolant, the greater the octane requirement.

Altitude: The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

Humidity: The drier the air, the greater the octane requirement. The recommendations that vehicle manufacturers give are for normal- to low-humidity levels.

Spark timing: The octane requirement increases as the spark timing is advanced. Both the basic setting of the spark timing and the operation of the automatic spark advance mechanisms are important in controlling knock

Method of driving: Rapid acceleration and heavy loading, such as pulling a trailer or climbing a hill, may result in a greater octane requirement. Stop-and-go driving and excessive idling can increase octane requirements by causing the buildup of combustion chamber deposits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run 91 octane here in az all year around. I have to say it also matters what company you get your gas from. I have filled up with texaco gas full tank and drove 175 mile on 21 gallons. I now only fill up with chevron or mobile and can go around 375 on 20 gallons. You have to go with a top manufacture to get the most mileage out of a tank of gas.

I use regular (87) and I get 350 miles to the tank well not the full tank I am afraid to let the light come on or run it completely out to see the exact.:D

If it runs okay and doesn't ping on 87, there is no reason to spend the money on higher octance. That said, several vehicles I've owned ran like crap on the summer blend we get here and I had to use 89 to get them to run right.

So basicly I have a mixed crowd.. Lol... Thanks for the research from all.. But I still think that 87 is good for winter, and 91 is good for summer.. (At least in Ohio..)

~Josh

Latest posts