The engine control cable saga, continued

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Some of you may recall I damaged the engine control wiring harness and found a replacement cable via Fast Parts Network (thank you, Torrie!)

The replacement cable showed up a couple of weeks ago, and last weekend I started removing the old cable. The cable is a nightmare. Looks like two octupusses mating. It runs from below the pulleys on the front of the engine, over the top of the right cyllinder bank, around the back of the motor snugged between the firewall and the back of the manifold (zero room for hands!), and branches across the left cylinder bank and all the way back to the rear of the tranny under the vehicle.

I managed to get most of the old cable unhooked. I'm stuck at two connectors: Under the front of the intake manifold. There is no room to remove the connectors without taking the manifold off. Who designed this thing?!?

Anyway, would appreciate any advice on this: I am trying to decide if I want to take the manifold off, or if I should cut and splice the four leads to the connectors I cannot remove.

Below is a picture of the two connectors (at center, orange and light gray). The picture is from the perspective of looking into the engine bay from the driver's side headlight.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
They look like they are slip and can pivot. In other words, you can grab and spin the connectors. If i am right, do you have enough room to un-thread the sensors leaving the harness plugged in still?

If so, un-thread then remove the plug, plug the new harness back in and thread them back into their hole.

Those are the sensors in the t-stat housing and I do not believe that you will be able to unplug them without without either removing the t-stat housing or the intake. For the record you can do the t-stat housing without removing the intake. If it were me I would probably remove the intake to do it, after all you are replacing the harness because it is damaged so why would you damage the new one to facilitate it's installation

Remove the T-stat housing and the hose. They can be removed and replaced w/o removing the intake. It'll take some patience but it can be done. Worst case scenario, you can loosen the intake bolts enough to give you a bit more room to work, however I have removed and replaced the sensor connectors without loosening the intake.

Good luck Rich.

Latest posts