The Debate: Supercharge My 2010 STA or Buy a 04 Lightning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I talked about this a little more last night.

I still don't know what to do.

I think I will be supercharging my STA. As my wife put it; " You have the STA now, you can always get a Lightning to beat on later on."

We also both like the way the STA looks compared to a Lightning. I think it comes down to utility and cost.

That damn Lightning still calls to me. I just can't figure it out why.

Why? What will I be sorry about? Seriously? I need more than an opinion. I need facts or at least theory

Example: 450 AWHP will self destruct your vehicle because your internals, tran and diffs are not built to handle that kind of power on a reg basis.

That is the kind of feedback I need.

I've been talking to multiple installers with multiple supercharger makes.

The Edelbrock EFORCE won't fit.

The Roush TVS supercharger is rated lower than the Saleen Speedlab series. The Roush is cheaper but requires more boost for less HP thus more strain on the internals and less efficiency.

The Saleen really seems to be the best option. Brenspeed, BBR and a host of others claim that the Saleen can do it all 400 AWHP at 4.5-5PSI with stock internals, tran and diffs on a daily driver.

If I go over 400AWHP EVERYONE tells me that I will need to get a Kenne Bell BAP, forged internals and maybe a better block, and I will still be breaking things in the driveline.

I'm fine with 390-400RWHP.

I wish I could weigh in on a finished project. I consult car dealers for a living and could have scored well on anything but the concept truck reeled me in and knowing the limits of the after market industy, I still chose the Adrenlin after doing all the research prior. It's nice to hear the debates now thinking back to the way i researched drivability, abuse, mpg, looks, and ease of ownership.

It comes down to a comfort level on parts and stability of the parts supplier in todays volatile market.

I would like to hear the negatives about the Roush Gen 5 M90 if there are thoughts

After a ridiculously difficult debate with all my personalities, I've firmly decided on supercharging the Adrenalin.

I'll be trying to save up some money to supercharge it in 2013. I could probably just pay it down as much as possible and use it as colleteral for a small loan for the supercharger. As long as I don't drop out of a position of equity I could do that. I will never supercharge it if the percent advance exceeds even 80% of the loan to value. That's just stupid. This route is attractive to me because I now have a baby and we are doing some major renovations to our home. I'd rather put the cashflow into the house and watch it grow instead of sticking it in a vehicle.

The Lightning is awesome! If I ever found one in excellent cosmetic condition with a bunch of miles on her...I'd drop $5,000 on it and just fix it up over a couple years. I'd go built and drive it to work on Saturdays during the summer.

I hope I made the right decision.

Latest posts