Texas, here I come!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Long

Reaction score
In about 8 hours I'll be leaving the sweat box of a Florida summer, only to spend the next 8 weeks baking in the Texas sun.... I'm driving my ST (with my BMW K1200RS in tow) out to Irving, TX, where I'll be working on the city's radio re-banding project. Anyone got any recommendations of things to do/see/eat while I'm out there? I'll be spending at least half of my weekends there, as well as bringing my family out to stay with me for a week or so. I've never been to Texas before, so I'm pretty clueless....:D

Rangers game, Astros game, check out the Cowboys new stadium, Six Flags Over Texas...that's about all I got. And make sure you bring sunscreen, it's frakking hot here :angry:

Im in the Housron area. 5 to 6 hours south of Irving. If you still have my Phone#. Give a call if you come this way. Email me if you need it.

We have many members in that area. Hopefully they will chime in for you.

Yep, It has been triple digit heat index and high humidity.

Ok, Irving is a bit far from the TeePee motel, since Irving is close to Dallas and the TeePee motel is close to Houston. Dallas/Fort Worth area has Six Flags over Texas, uh, actually, I don't know much about the Dallas area anymore. It's been awhile since I've been up there.

The good thing is Irving is in northern Texas. Probably snowing up there right now. :rolleyes:

Go to Fort Worth. It's a lot better than Dallas. Go to the historic stockyard area. Nice museums also in FW. Six Flags is cool but nothing exciting if your from Disneyworld area. To really enjoy Texas you need to go to the Texas Hill country around Austin and San Antonio. Lot's to do and see around there.

I suggest you check out the new Dallas Cowboys stadium, you wont be dissapointed! Also there is the Aquarium, The Galeria, The Dallas Ball (A Skyscraper with a restaurant on top, it rotates and does a full rotation every hour), Six Flags, Rangers Stadium, and plenty of bars and clubs to enjoy! Hope you have fun, I love Dallas and would never dream of living anywhere else. (even though im in Houston for the time being while I go to school, lol).

Have Fun! :cool::cool:

Boodro

Make sure to see the "5th Floor Museum" in downtown Dallas. All about the JFK assasination. Walk on the "grassy knoll" while you are there. These are a must-see if you are a history buff.

TJR

Its been a while since I have been to Dallas. but definately go to the Cattlemens steak house. for a good steak. See the old stock yards area. http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs005/1102409756989/archive/1102630167130.html#LETTER.BLOCK21

I live in Plano, about 20 minutes east of Irving and all of the above suggestions are good. Definitely take the family to the Dallas World Aquarium, the Ft. Worth zoo is nice as well (better than the Dallas zoo). You definitely want to tour the new Dallas Cowboys stadium, I was there 3 weeks ago and it' unbelievable. You will know the Dallas Ball that Boodro is referring to as soon as you see the downtown Dallas skyline. It's a huge ball that sits atop a tall slender high rise building and the restaurant rotates as Boodro stated.

Thanks for the suggestions! My truck and bike made the trip flawlessly, it was a fairly pleasant drive, aside from the late start I got, which meant I didn't arrive until almost 3 AM. I was pretty tired at that point, it was about all I could do to stay awake, but I didn't have a choice because I had to be at work at 8 AM.

On a side note, I sure am glad I put those new Revo's on before I left Tuesday! I hit some pretty good storms on the first half of my drive and they did awesome, as well as riding very nice and quiet.

Eddie, I don't know if I'll make it down that far or not. If I do, I'll be sure to get in touch with you.

If your family wants to go shopping, I suggest the Grapevine Mills Outlet Mall. They also have a huge Bass Pro Shop next door. There's another Bass Pro in Garland on Ray Hubbard. I also HIGHLY recommend the Dallas World Aquarium. You can also jump over to Ft Worth and check out the Stock Yards. That's a pretty cool place. Last time I was there, it was still set up with the old west type boardwalks. Or the Ft Worth Science Museum. They had that place set up with props and sets from Star Wars a couple of years ago.

Latest posts